Search the forum,

Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am finally not an MI virgin! (feel free to take the ---- - I know its not perfect).

e26aa012-0b38-4ce5-b95e-2bf1f8eec77c.jpg

THIS IS A COLLEGE TEST ASSIGNMENT, BUILT TO A GIVEN DESIGN AND DIMENSIONS (I just hope they don't measure this one). CREATIVITY OR CHANGING THE DESIGN WAS NOT PERMITTED.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no more cables. The test instructions specify this size of hole (40mm), and the dimensions of the tray. I probably should have pointed out that this is a college test, and the MI cables are cut off where the tray ends at the top. The tutor said to leave this on the wall as an example to show the third years how neatly he wanted it doing. Or was it how not to do it? Can't remember now. ;)

Jesus. Never seen a hole like that in a cable tray before! Suppose its not a bad idea though, looks better than having the cables jump off the side.

Personally I would have kept to one side of the tray and cut the lip off the tray and swooped off. Also why did you make the double set If no more cables going on? I to have never seen a big hole in tray work like that. Not having a dig pal people just have different prefences of doing things.

To update and after reading your reply as this was a training exercise I take it that the double set was just to prove that you could manufacture this particular set? In a real scenario you wouldn't be able to fit any more cables through that hole though.

Because that's what his college spec told him to do.

If he'd have done it differently I'm guessing he would have lost marks.

I think it looks pretty good.

To update and after reading your reply as this was a training exercise I take it that the double set was just to prove that you could manufacture this particular set? In a real scenario you wouldn't be able to fit any more cables through that hole though.
Yep that's the idea. Its all pointless and goes nowhere. :)

Its quite galling at college when you spend weeks building loads of plastic and metal trunking and conduit, wiring it all in beautifully, energising it to see if the light and two-way switching works, then the tutor takes a photo of it and says "right, rip it all off and bin it!"

You could get loads more cables through the hole - the double set is 75mm above the horizontal bit, so plenty of wiggle room. Maybe the hole isn't 40mm. Can't remember back as far as last week when I did it. And I know what you mean, we learn lots of stuff at college you would never do in the real world!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why what's wrong with it. Looks good

we make install's to allow for alterations and its much better to cut side off tray, file and galve etc then use roofers to bolt together.

this is asuming it's not on show because then its usually requested to use pre manufactered bends.

that is a much more useful skill to learn

Last edited:
What you've done looks neat. I just cant see any sense in telling anyone to chop holes in tray like that. Collages must be in a parallel universe. One that bears no semblance of reality.

we make install's to allow for alterations and its much better to cut side off tray, file and galve etc then use roofers to bolt together.this is asuming it's not on show because then its usually requested to use pre manufactered bends.that is a much more useful skill to learn
Yes a agree with you but that is what he was asked to do and that is what he has done. So he's made a good job of what he was asked to do.

Yes we all know that it was part of a college assignment and we are not saying it doesn't look good. Myself and such as Tony said above the argument being why do colleges teach things that wouldn't apply in this universe.

Yes I agree, some things they teach are very silly, such as stripping back T&E with a knife. I don't think anyone does that in the real world, do they? (apart from 4mm and above)

I've heard the argument about stretching the CPC, but have seen several training videos with Tony wotsit and Brian Scaddan from the IET (I think) say that although technically it will stretch it and reduce the csa, the change will be so miniscule that it makes no practical difference.

When stripping 1-2.5mm I prefer to split the end with snips, then yank evenly on both the brown and blue conductors to peel it apart leaving the cpc in the middle. This way any tension is spread across both conductors, which are thicker than the cpc.

The odd times I've done T+E I've always run a Stanly knife along the CPC cutting both sides of the cable at the same time. Never nicked the conductor insulation yet. Can't see me ever changing that habit.

What you've done looks neat. I just cant see any sense in telling anyone to chop holes in tray like that. Collages must be in a parallel universe. One that bears no semblance of reality.

That's because there is no sense in it!! It's more like, yet another collage instructor, that hasn't got a bloody clue about how to design and install tray. Never have and probably now, never will see tray work with gaping big holes chopped out like that, for cables to pass through!!

If i ever saw anything like that on any of my projects, it would be out, ....dammed quicker than it took to go in!!! lol!!

That's because there is no sense in it!! It's more like, yet another collage instructor, that hasn't got a bloody clue about how to design and install tray. Never have and probably now, never will see tray work with gaping big holes chopped out like that, for cables to pass through!!

If i ever saw anything like that on any of my projects, it would be out, ....dammed quicker than it took to go in!!! lol!!

One of those would be working in an art college, so no bloody wonder.lol.

No, not me, the guy who had installed it would be doing all the ripping out, with me and his boss standing over him, making sure that it did all came out!! lol!!
Why though? It is unorthodox but there's nothing wrong with it and it looks neat. Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

This is sooo much better than college, I'm actually learning the real-world way to do things, thanks everyone!

Now maybe you can help me wire up my shed..... :D

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by KWCFC
Why though? It is unorthodox but there's nothing wrong with it and it looks neat. Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

I think much of the ''Why'' has already been answered. It may look neat as you put it, as a short demo practice example, but is not a viable installation out in the real world, on a working tray installation...

The minute someone puts a cable onto the bridge running vertically you've had it for running more cable in without having to stand over that hole and push it through inches at a time. And pyro or not, if there's a metal edge hole - where's the glanding strip?

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net