Discuss Taking money for certification - customer dont wanna pay! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tell me please, who are these 'most electricians' to whom you refer? I hope you are not suggesting that the vast majority of us are cowboys?
there was damaged cable between box and light pendant so I was really lucky to find the box using my inspection camera and be able to replace a cable without destroying big amount of ceiling. There were just two small holes in the ceiling that has been just renovated two days before.

@GMES: yeah, I know. I think I will talk to her on Monday and we will solve an issue. She is arguing to pay 150 as other electrician told her I cant take money for doing that. But she still needs to pay the rest of price:/ Anyway, I believe we will figure it out and she will pay at least price close to the one agreed at the start.

there was damaged cable between box and light pendant so I was really lucky to find the box using my inspection camera and be able to replace a cable without destroying big amount of ceiling. There were just two small holes in the ceiling that has been just renovated two days before.

@GMES: yeah, I know. I think I will talk to her on Monday and we will solve an issue. She is arguing to pay 150 as other electrician told her I cant take money for doing that. But she still needs to pay the rest of price:/ Anyway, I believe we will figure it out and she will pay at least price close to the one agreed at the start.

He's talking absolute rubbish, plus it's nothing to do with him. You can charge for anything you like, especially testing.
Just type out another invoice then with testing and inspection for £0, and add the £150 to labour charge.

I've looked at this thread. A marriage made in heaven. You've gone in too cheap, she liked a cheap quote.
You're trying to claw money back for you're mistake.
Provide her with a copy of the test schedule for £0 and put it down to experience.

And it could be just how he presented quote, broke price down and she thinks 150 for testing which he should be doin anyway.. But it's just how he presented it.

Am I reading this right...

Like if I was going to wire a small flat and said 2 days each fix and £ 150 for testing instead of adding it into days/hours ...

Wow, great thread. You just need to explain that there has been a misunderstanding, take it on the chin and look at getting some invoicing lessons.

For example, at the bottom of my invoices, I have a section labelled 'Testing, certification and building control notification'

For a full cert it's usually £25 or a tenner for a minor works, the customer then knows that

1, They are receiving a cert
2, The work is being notified
3, They have not been 'jobbed' by some cowboy who will tear half the ceiling down, 'like most electricians' and walk off with £150 to boot.

Mistery solved. Her boiler has broken, and gas specalist told her Im a retard putting 13amp fuse in cable to boiler and I destroyed the device.
So he blamed me that the boiler got broken and they got no hot water. I went to her and explained I could give a 3amp fuse, it could help to prevet boiler from getting damaged but It is not my fault that it took too much power and a pump blew off.

She understands that now and she said there is no problem to pay me. Looks like I am a little drama queen lol, sorry guys and thans all for your help!

Well you are a prat for putting a 13 amp fuse in for a piece of equipment which requires a 3 amp fuse. Doesn't everyone know a domestic gas boiler should be fused at 3 amps? And even if not then it will be in the instructions for the boiler which you read before connecting it I assume?

I hope you made a note on this famous certificate to say that you installed it other than in accordance with the regulations and manufacturers instructions.

Well you are a prat for putting a 13 amp fuse in for a piece of equipment which requires a 3 amp fuse. Doesn't everyone know a domestic gas boiler should be fused at 3 amps? And even if not then it will be in the instructions for the boiler which you read before connecting it I assume?

I hope you made a note on this famous certificate to say that you installed it other than in accordance with the regulations and manufacturers instructions.
My bad indeed, but it shouldnt blow because of me!

I am so confused! Anyone care to summarise, I have read the whole thread and I have a few questions...

Whats the electricians handbook?

Why wouldn't you put a 30p fuse on the boiler?

Was the faulty boiler why she wasn't paying you or was she not paying you for the Certs?

Surely you have a good hard copy of your quote so if she refused to pay you, you would have a argument in court?

What is an inspection camera? Sounds like I'm missing out on some reveloutionary technology here :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so confused! Anyone care to summarise, I have read the whole thread and I have a few questions...

Whats the electricians handbook?

Why wouldn't you put a 30p fuse on the boiler?

Was the faulty boiler why she wasn't paying you or was she not paying you for the Certs?

Surely you have a good hard copy of your quote so if she refused to pay you, you would have a argument in court?

What is an inspection camera? Sounds like I'm missing out on some reveloutionary technology here :-/

MilwaukeeInspectionCamera_in-use_w609.jpg

She didnt want pay because some1 told her all kitchen is gonna burn because of me so she took some other electrician for testing. The other electrician told her I am not allowed to charge her for testing and cert on my installation which I included in quote. Few days later we had a meeting and she said testings are fine, everything is ok, but boiler got broken and she was told its because of me as I put 13amp fuse in it... So yes, I was responsible for not ensuring its safety but it could brake with 3amp anyways + I didnt cause its faulty. So she payd me yesterday and everything is fine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you certain that a 3 amp fuse wouldn't have prevented whatever damage occurred? There is a good reason why 3 amps is stipulated in all manufacturers instructions.

Are you certain that a 3 amp fuse wouldn't have prevented whatever damage occurred? There is a good reason why 3 amps is stipulated in all manufacturers instructions.
It happens that I also fix washing machines, cathering service, laundrettes so with hand on my heart I can say that if a 100W pump would take 3amps, it would burn anyways....

BTw this inspection camera is awesome, it has light, HD quality and I paid only 60 quids for it!

You cannot say what would have happened with a 3A fuse instead of the 13A you fitted unless you can replicate the exact circumstances to test it.

And even then you have not fitted the fuse protection as directed by the manufacturer of the boiler so you could automatically become #1 scapegoat if no other reason for the fault can be found.

And by not following the manufacturers instructions you have not complied with BS7671, and unless you have noted this in the deviations on the certificate then you have not filled out the certificate correctly.

The OP's grammar is not anything I have ever experienced in Scotland. Trust me most Scots can spell and punctuate correctly, guess he;s drunk too much of the orange stuff :)

A bizarre, confusing and illogical thread?!

I think the op is Polish. If that's the case, then it's pretty good.
Thanks, I didnt want to spoil the thread with the fact that I am foreigner:/ Sorry for bad punctuation but I am not good in using it so I dont do it at all... I am aware my posts are as easy to read as Hamlett's poem, but punctuation here is 180grades rotated to the one in my 2nd language;[ anyways, thanks for tip. Will pay more attention to it now!:D

I think the op is Polish. If that's the case, then it's pretty good.

definitely foreign, from his name, but also definately not polish. more asian , IMO. ( no disrespect to OP , here, just speculating.)

My first view of this mammoth thread and my own conclusion, looking closely at his choice of words,many unlikely to be used in a second language written reply

It leaves me with the impression that he has done one excellent job of a wind up on a grand scale
He is no more Polish than I am

Reply to Taking money for certification - customer dont wanna pay! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net