Search the forum,

Discuss The No Bonding / No Work rule......who obeys? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

could you not , as a cheap tempory bodge , take some 6mm earth from the nearest electrical accessory to the pipes ?
just until he can afford the job properly ?

just trying to throw you a bone here lol.

You see the people (ahem was going to swear then ) who write them don't live in the real world.

Last edited:
I could supp bond it i suppose, but what about the RCD, 10mm single insulated tails that are to small for the max demand , the undersized main earth and the 0.78 NE on the IR.....lol??

10mm single insulated tails that are to small for the max demand

I donate some of the tails from my totting* pile

I'd tell my mate the bonding needs sorting, then sort it.
If he couldn't afford to pay straight away, I'd give him time to pay.

This, got a bit of an arrangement with a friend who's a mechanic, we just trade labour. Which is probably more immoral than paying in cash :lol:

*Scrap, Wire to be stripped

Not chatting about jobs for mates anymore, but typing in "bonding" on the ESC website's search brings up a useful pdf to download and show to customers. Explains things nicely to the customers that question the extra cost and work.

Not chatting about jobs for mates anymore, but typing in "bonding" on the ESC website's search brings up a useful pdf to download and show to customers. Explains things nicely to the customers that question the extra cost and work.

Useful, thanks for that link!

this whole situation is b.s
i think ill start going to jobs and looking for rcds and quoting £400 to upgrade before emm , fitting a light

You have to do what 'allows' you to sleep easy at night and if that means walking away or doing the job without bonding in place, so be it. But, you can soon lose a friendship when the **** hits the fan and someone is injured due to the lack of bonding. It's a litigious society we live in and I prefer to cover my arse. OK, somebody else will do the job, but so what, to me it's not worth £50 against snugly warm bo-bo's with the Mrs :)

The ESC will send you a supply of leaflets. I hand them out to the customer and 9 times out of 4 (can't do maths) the customer agrees to the bonding when they read/see the 'offical' leaflet (I know it ain't official).

Leaflets are also great when it comes to accessories in a bathroom.
Me - "No, I'm afraid you can't have that swanky new wall light you just spent £200 on directly under your shower"
Customer - "It's my house, I can do what I like"
Me - "But I'm afraid I can't fit it for you. Although it says 'Bathroom light', that doesn't mean it can go under a shower"
Customer - "But I want it"
Me - "Look, here's a picture of a bathroom showing you what can go where"
Customer - "Oh, now I see. You should have just said that I can't have that fitting there then"

Leaflets are also great when it comes to accessories in a bathroom.
Me - "No, I'm afraid you can't have that swanky new wall light you just spent £200 on directly under your shower"
Customer - "It's my house, I can do what I like"
Me - "But I'm afraid I can't fit it for you. Although it says 'Bathroom light', that doesn't mean it can go under a shower"
Customer - "But I want it"
Me - "Look, here's a picture of a bathroom showing you what can go where"
Customer - "Oh, now I see. You should have just said that I can't have that fitting there then"

And B&Q saying suitable for a bathroom , then in brackets "outside zones" does not help.

Just fit a clamp and a short length of cable, then tuck the end behind something. At any point in the future you just hold the end of the cable and say the magic words "bloody plumbers" whilst shaking your head, "it was all right"!

Reply to The No Bonding / No Work rule......who obeys? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net