Discuss Urgent: 60 amp main cut out fuse required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anyway happy customer (with my service) lesson learned by them.

Would that be "In future ring the supplier" lol

But the customer didn't know the fault, they also didn't know the main fuse had blown

and the dno wouldn't have found out why the fuse had blown

Lesson is dont put non ip rated stuff outside...

The only thing gain from calling the supplier would have been a saving of £4 for a fuse. And there would have been a lot more time waiting for them.

If you read it I think you'll see the fuse was blown when I arrived and it was because there was a extension lead outside full off water!!!!!

There only 2 reasons for pulling that fuse. 1 for isolation 2 because the customer has no power and the rest of the road has so I think it should be removed to check.

Or should I just walk away and tell them to call the dno.

I can't believe some of the crap you guys post.

I turned to you lot to ask for some help at 11 o'clock on a Sunday night realised they'd blown the main fuse. I didn't have a 60a, only a 100a.

Something that could have been sorted fairly swiftly.

I though u lot might be the type to help a fellow spark.

Maybe not

All back and running by 8:30am

Why didn't you just use you voltage tester on the DB?

Good luck with explaining to the DNO why you replaced one of there fuses.

Most if the guys on the ground who work for the DNO couldn't give a ---- about seal cutting and fuse changing, they really don't care, I've had DNO out 15 times last two years for various things, never any questions and as explained in another post I've even had them hand me a load of old 60 amp fuses and seals so if I find one blown or blow one I can "sort it myself", could see a huge problem if you tried to change the fuse size however

If you read it I think you'll see the fuse was blown when I arrived and it was because there was a extension lead outside full off water!!!!!

There only 2 reasons for pulling that fuse. 1 for isolation 2 because the customer has no power and the rest of the road has so I think it should be removed to check.

Or should I just walk away and tell them to call the dno.

I can't believe some of the crap you guys post.

I turned to you lot to ask for some help at 11 o'clock on a Sunday night realised they'd blown the main fuse. I didn't have a 60a, only a 100a.

Something that could have been sorted fairly swiftly.

I though u lot might be the type to help a fellow spark.

Maybe not

All back and running by 8:30am

Why didn't you just use you voltage tester on the DB?

Good luck with explaining to the DNO why you replaced one of there fuses.

If your happy to test a fuse by just measuring a lack of voltage

Good luck to you

Good luck to you
If you test for voltage across the main terminals at the cu(or at the isolator if fitted) and you have non then anything before this is a DNO problem,I think the posters who were against pulling the main fuse were trying to warn you in case anything went wrong and you were injured,think about it this way you remove the fuse and something goes wrong and you get hurt then you have no claim against DNO as you should not have been tampering with their equipment.I was in a pub over in yorkshire some years ago and the lights were flickering,the landlord said it had been going on for a while and would I take a look while I was there,I diagnosed a loose connection in the cut out and rang the dno,The flash was quite spectacular as the unit went bang as he tried to remove the fuse.Ended up having to fit a new cutout and repair the cable,hate to think what could have happened if I had tried it myself that day,maybe I could have got the bill.

Good luck to you

As Phil says if their is no voltage at the nearest point to the cutout then there it is the responsibility of the DNO.

The DNO would be round pretty quickly to repair it and not have to ask on a forum for a fuse. Normally they won't charge for it neither still I suppose you managed to charge them for a new fuse fuse a few hours work and made a tidy profit ripping someone off.

The point been the dno would have replace the fuse but not found the fault.

If I just left it to the dno then they still would have had a fault.

I personally like to be their to make sure once the fuse was replaced they had no problems. So For me this was worth it.

Due to the day and the fact the customer was a fair distance from my home, and the customer was planning to up root the family to have christmas at a family members, waiting for the dno seamed a second option to picking up a fuse and replacing it.

I personally like to be their to make sure once the fuse was replaced they had no problems. So For me this was worth it.

Due to the day and the fact the customer was a fair distance from my home, and the customer was planning to up root the family to have christmas at a family members, waiting for the dno seamed a second option to picking up a fuse and replacing it.

Maybe there wasn't a fault and an old main fuse simply gave up the ghost. It does happen.

the point being robert that you
interfeared with DNO property!!
so just take the hint from `us lot trying to help a fellow spark`........get me drift?.....(try #78 for a memory jog if not)
its a no brainer really.....
mind you....at least its not as bad as someone telling me how they `moved the suppliers metering equipment outside` ..recently to....`make room`.....
jesus wept..

That could have been a possibility but you know what they say about assuming things like that, but I found the fault. I think telling a customer the fuse was probably warn call the supplier and going home would look very rouge trader.

Had this been not so close to Christmas it could have been left to try but I know like leaving a job not knowing the outcome. As I would have to return for no cost.

Which in this case I would have had to

That could have been a possibility but you know what they say about assuming things like that, but I found the fault. I think telling a customer the fuse was probably warn call the supplier and going home would look very rouge trader.

Had this been not so close to Christmas it could have been left to try but I know like leaving a job not knowing the outcome. As I would have to return for no cost.

Which in this case I would have had to
Are you really a donut. It has nothing to do with being a rogue trader. There are clearly 2 issues, a fault in the customers property, which you can work on and the main fuse/cut-out blowing that the DNO should attend too.

This thread is blinding!

The two things were related, I personally wouldn't be happy till I saw the customer up and running.

If I had missed something I would have to return, a 60 mile round trip which would have been Christmas Eve evening or even Christmas Day. For free

i've got to hand it to Mr. Turnbull , he's made a robust and staunch defence of his business practices in the face of alot of flack over the pages of this thread and hats off to him.
its no bloody concern of anyone else as to how he earns a living , if i could earn £100 an hour at xmas or any other time of year i'd take it and anyone who didnt like it can jog the f*** on.
some of the posters on here would be better off time travelling back to 1950's soviet moscow where the state can decide how much we all earn.

edit : i think i've kicked off on the wrong thread - oops
:-D

Last edited by a moderator:
i've got to hand it to Mr. Turnbull , he's made a robust and staunch defence of his business practices in the face of alot of flack over the pages of this thread and hats off to him.
its no bloody concern of anyone else as to how he earns a living , if i could earn £100 an hour at xmas or any other time of year i'd take it and anyone who didnt like it can jog the f*** on.
some of the posters on here would be better off time travelling back to 1950's soviet moscow where the state can decide how much we all earn.
get a grip of yoursen Biff and wake up!!
what the hell do you think we`v got now eh?.....more covert n stealthy in practice...but its the end result that counts.....
lol...lol....

I have no concern how people earn there money along as they are not trying to ripoff me or anyone else I know.

But he came on here asking about doing something illegal, the problem could have been solved alot quicker though as I have pointed out previously.

Yep , wrong thread , should have been the "call-out" debate.
meh , i stand by my comments lol.

if a mod could oblige and move my post #94 when convienient.

Thanks biff55

I wasn't asking for anything illegal or how to do anything illegal. Possession of a 60a fuse isn't yet illegal.

I in my wisdom though someone on here
May be in possession of one locally.

And as for ripping people off. I went to a customer who knew exactly what they were been charged. That amount was between them and the people they called.

Everyone has a opinion about what I could have done.

I did what was needed.

Customer sorted

Minimum fuss (apart from you lot lol)

Anyway can we close this thread

I came on here as I find it a very useful forum, having downloaded the app it is easy to access.

I hope I've not rubbed anyone up the wrong way.

I know you don't approve of third party organisations, I was just trying to give you some information from someone who knows how they operate. I must have done 3 jobs for them this year, and maybe 15-20 over the last 3 years.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and a happy new year.

I have no concern how people earn there money along as they are not trying to ripoff me or anyone else I know.

But he came on here asking about doing something illegal, the problem could have been solved alot quicker though as I have pointed out previously.

I'm sorry DillB, anyone being ripped of just isn't on in my book.

The two things were related, I personally wouldn't be happy till I saw the customer up and running.

If I had missed something I would have to return, a 60 mile round trip which would have been Christmas Eve evening or even Christmas Day. For free

OK it's the season of goodwill etc, so I'll restrain from calling you anything more than a donut. Messin' with the DNO fuse is not for you to do.

60 mile round trip - boo,hoo; get a grip, I do 200 mile round trips in my area every week. And it still ain't any excuse for you touching the DNO fuse.
Yes the two things might be related, but you have stepped over the mark in touching the main fuse, but I guess you just can't see that, having read the previous pages.

Reply to Urgent: 60 amp main cut out fuse required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net