Discuss volt drop calcs and 230 v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

do the transformers have to be de energised to change taps or do they bang it live ?

its done live.

Switched live they will go bang, don’t even think about it.

On load tap changers are normally at the 33/11KV transformers.

Off load
TapChanger-1.jpg

On load
Tap-Change-4_zpsc9e20d66.gif

Switched live they will go bang, don’t even think about it.

On load tap changers are normally at the 33/11KV transformers.

nice animated diagram.

recently read a HSE report that was linked on the IET forum that reported on the death of a sub station worker that was killed changing the taps manually - the mechanism connected to the operating handle failed , jammed between 2 of the contact points , chamber overheated , explosion with hot oil ensued with no warning - terrible way to go , DNO's subsequently changed their proceedures etc.
your 2nd pic is exactly the same as the technical video shown by the HSE

Last edited by a moderator:
nice animated diagram.

recently read a HSE report that was linked on the IET forum that reported on the death of a sub station worker that was killed changing the taps manually - the mechanism connected to the operating handle failed , jammed between 2 of the contact points , chamber overheated , explosion with hot oil ensued with no warning - terrible way to go , DNO's subsequently changed their proceedures etc.
your 2nd pic is exactly the same as the technical video shown by the HSE

That was terrible and I feel so sorry for the guy’s family.

There was a known fault on the tap changer and he operated it live.

Operating a tap changer isn’t a nice experience, the transformer sounds like its being violently sick.
It would be very rare you did it using manual control, they are normally under the control of a automatic voltage regulator.
If you watch the animation there are times where there are shorted windings which is where the two reactors (inductors) come in to play. They limit the current in the shorted windings.

Im pretty sure that the minimum is 216V for tolerances allowable if l remember correctly. Please put me right if im talking piggie-excrement. I think its nominal voltage 230 -6%=13.8V which is 216.2V to +10%=23V which is 253V...
I ask this question to the DNO just the other day and that's the answer they gave me too, The customer had a load of them GU10 compact florescent lamps that were only lasting a few months (the voltage was around 149 volts at the lamps and 151 at the incomer) The lamp supplier said that due to the higher voltage the lamps could be over heating ,mind you they are discontinuing these lamps so suggested fitting LED lamps instead.

Nominal voltage 230v permitted tolerance +10% / -6% 216.2 v - 253.0 v (bs7671, appendix 2, section 14).

Volt drop- 3% for lighting circuits, 5% for other circuits.

Probably repeated what others have said earlier..so apologise if so.

Never mind the IET and EU harmonisation.

The specification for a DNO local transformer is for up to 1000KVA, 11/.433KV 4.5% reactance. 1500KVA the reactance rises to 5%

433V not 400V

No idea what you're all arguing about you'll never going to be seeing 230 Volts or 400 volts in the UK or Europe for literally 10's of years, if ever!! lol!! It's all just fantasy world stuff!!

It could be done using the voltage regulators on the 33KV OLTC’s. The knock on would be disastrous. The LV network can’t cope with the current loading as it is now.

I tried lowering the voltage on an 80MVA system, I soon put it back to where it was.

Reply to volt drop calcs and 230 v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net