Discuss what is your preferred brand of consumer unit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hager, the box is OK but the main reason is that the RCDs MCBs and RCBOs have been reliable. That said, the CEF rep was banging on about the Proteus being better now etc etc, so I might give one a try next week and see.

As someone mentioned previously, I'm more interested in what's in it for me than I am brand loyalty. My main criteria being, once fitted it keeps working so I don't have to drive around swapping bits under warranty.

Year ago i would of agreed with danzor, but seriously the CEF proteus have made a huge improvement. they very competitive prices. Just make sure if you get a special on complete boaRD its not old stock with old breakers. they have been shifting completes with old ones. those are tosh. BUT ask and make sure they new type breakers n RCD. they tidy. worth one go i would say.

If you are on a tight budget then CED units are worth a go. Easy to fit, never had any problems and they look good.
Fitted a 'Control Gear' CCU this week and I've gone right off them - faulty rcd and a breaker. Obvious faults, poor quality control, absolutely no excuses! Set me back chasing the replacement parts and customer was inconvenienced with her supply off longer than necessary!

No offence but your joking right ?
Total french gash lol.
But their 400v glass fronted dis boards are quite good i must admit.

Well no I'm not,that's my choice all the time, havn't tried Crabtree yet.Hager was allways a very good quality,plenty space for cables to make them neat,never came across with faulty gear,and the cover ,after 18way board is finished,allways goes on like on the new board,unlike I had Proteus 17way,the quality of the actual board was the poorest I've ever seen.But maybe it's just me.

I'm surprised no one included MK here.

I go with either MK or Hager. MK for smaller installations - there are some great deals about. Hager are generally my favourite, but I'd love to strangle the designer that located the RHS front panel securing screw hole so that it interferes the meter tails.

Oh, and Hager label set are a joke - prep my own every time.

professional electrician has got a review of the BG CU. it's a good review.

Hager for me, never had any issues with breakers/rcd , look and feel like good quality + we get good prices at our local cef
I rate hager as well never had a faulty mcb or rcbo for that matter yet.their tp boards are well thought out too.
i used to like merlin gerin and memshield 2 single phase boards as well but they were pricy.
i fitted a memshield 3 single phase 10 way and a matching enclosure for contactors last year
a rcbo for this baby was 57quid plus vat! Talk about pricing yourself out the market eaton.good quality tho.crabtree aren't bad but I don't really fit it much.big up to the proteus tho NOT!

I used to use MK until I got poor quality MCB's 3-4 years ago.

Went to look about and tried Hager. Never looked back.

They are slightly dearer than others but they are designed well

As far as Proteus goes they are from CEF (Check Everything First), almost all the faulty RCD's I come across are Proteus or old MK 1980's range.

I think hager have gone down hill flimsy boards n just low quality, except the breakers and RCD's I prefer Wylex they well built n good quality

I like Hager for quality, as far as Wylex goes I keep a copy or 2 of the product recall in the van and use it to show customers why I don't buy electrium

I have seen the new Wylex boards but I just can't trust them when they sell their souls to B&Q / Screwfix / Toolstation

As Hager is only available readily through the wholesale network jo public finds it less easily

Reply to what is your preferred brand of consumer unit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net