Discuss what is your preferred brand of consumer unit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

used bg for my last 5 jobs, wont be using them anymore, mcb screws seem to strip threads before their really tight, and screws in the neutral and earth bars are sometimes very tight and screw heads round off

I recently tried BG,went straight back to wylex as same probs,2 breakers when trying to tighten onto busbar,fortunatley the wholesalers dropped some more round but overall unimpressed,will not use again and when worked out most budget boards might be £10 cheaper but cause hassle so i will stick to wylex/legrand/hager/or neweys boards(they are very simialar to wylex.

Used hager for many yrs no probs and legrand inc accessories no probs again then crabtree and wylex buti am going to try BG on me bruvs so hope the posts above dont ring true as i have just ordered a 13way 19 module split load dual rcd for £59 inc vat

i dont really like the wylex as flimsy and looks messy with the large interlinking line and neutrals for the rcds

I was going to buy a volex as one of the ones i am replacing was a volex, as I was going to try to utilise some of the existing Cbs after i tried to get RCBOs and realised it would cost a lot more than replacing the board as its split load but single rcd
but with all recent recalls etc and price decided against that one

Last edited:
I usually use go with Hager and sometimes MK, but installed my first two Legrand CU's this week.

Overall fairly impressed with the build quality of the case and switch gear, though a few reservations -
1. Cable cut-outs are pretty tough - adding cut-outs for new cables once the units is installed would be hard work, particularly if access limited.
2. Bus-bars terminals screws were the softest I've come across - very easy to round if you over torque a bit.
3. Neutral bars are to far left and far right of case, which meant when replacing a standard 6 way 3036 Wylex (with all original cable coming through a central hole) I had to extend more than a few conductors.

Probably will try Legand again...

I don't understand why the Crabtree Starbreaker design didn't catch on - as well as being safer it locks the MCBs in place horizontally, eliminating the left and right creeping along the DIN rail you get when the tails aren't 100% straight.

Had to use a Wylex (15 way) today - first time for ages. It instantly reminded me why I stopped using them 2 years ago - the cases are rubbish! Trying to get the edges lined up is a nightmare. Back to Hager and MK for me - whatever the customer says. ...

Had to use a Wylex (15 way) today - first time for ages. It instantly reminded me why I stopped using them 2 years ago - the cases are rubbish! Trying to get the edges lined up is a nightmare. Back to Hager and MK for me - whatever the customer says. ...

Think it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I have found the backs of Wylex a bit flexible so if you don't have a flat wall you have to careful. On the other hand I used an MK last week for a change and the front was so floppy I had to use 3 hands to get it to line up!

Wylex have always been crap in my opinion, their modern CUs are no exception. Tiny knockouts, cases flex a fair bit, expensive for what they are, not the most reliable.......and though some people probably won't class this as a issue.....the unit itself looks rubbish, literally a grey box on the wall. But I always think the customer doesn't know anything about it so if it looks rubbish they will think it's rubbish

I've played with a few of the MK units recently and liking them very much. Unfortunately I can't find '16th edition' split units anywhere

Ow, Wylex MCBs also have a naff click to them :lol:

Well Wilts are doing a board and 8 RCBOs for for £99 at the moment, the boards are huge and are made under contract by lewden, the RCBOs don't have the stupid functional earth either. I haven't used one yet but im tempted :drunk:

I like merlin Gerin for industry and GE are as good as any others for domestic, although I do like crabtree starbreaker as well.

Well Wilts are doing a board and 8 RCBOs for for £99 at the moment, the boards are huge and are made under contract by lewden, the RCBOs don't have the stupid functional earth either. I haven't used one yet but im tempted :drunk:

Denmens do the same ones, they're nice boards but I get the impression the RCBOs can't be up to much (although I've used a few with no issues, brand is 'control gear' iirc)

As for the 'functional earth' on a rcbo, here is MarkiwSparkie's post from another thread

1) In order for an RCBO to comply with BS EN 61009, the RCBO does not have to have a separate (functional) earth connection. However, the standard specifies that an RCBO which has a separate earth connection must behave in a certain way to conform to the specification, but the separate earth connection is not mandatory. There are RCBOs currently available that do not have a separate earth connection, yet they achieve full compliance and conformity with the standard.
2) The functional earth is used as reference by the internal RCBO electronics to increase the sensitivity, speed of operation and allows the device to detect an earth fault even if the neutral becomes disconnected. Losing the neutral connection is rare event, especially in TN systems that are increasingly common today. The probability of losing the neutral and having an earth fault at the same time, a double fault condition, is statistically small and evaluated by some manufacturers as so small not be of significance when specifying protection devices. In spite of this, there are those who advocate fitting an RCBO with separate earth connection “just to be on the safe side”. The penalties for this theoretical risk are RCBOs with taller form factors and the extra connection which make consumer units and distribution boards cramped and harder to wire, pushing up required connection time and costs. Even worse some electricians don’t know how to terminate RCBOs and it is quite common to find RCBOs with the functional earth connections cut off, this is clearly bad practice for a device where the electronics relies on a earth reference for its sensitivity and speed of operation.
3) Most manufacturers of RCBOs with functional earth fly-leads insist that these leads must be disconnected during insulation testing to avoid damage to the sensitive electronics, and during earth impedance loop testing to avoid misleading results. A minority of manufacturers insist on the disconnection of the neutral fly-lead during testing in addition to the functional earth, it is therefore important to consult manufacturers instructions before testing. Removing and replacing connections adds to the time and cost of testing, however, there are other issues. First, there is the possibility of failing to reconnect the functional earth fly-lead, leaving the device operating under conditions other than those for which is was designed. Secondly, disconnecting fly-leads goes against one of the basic principles of installation testing, which is that the installation should be tested in the exactly the same state as it will be operated in service. However, we often break this aspiration in installation testing.

tl;dr if they got one they're likely better :lol:

Don't really mind usually, I dislike Hager stuff a lot. Have had more than one of them that I can't get a bloody RCBO to fit into, new board and all there stuff why the f**k can't it fit!

Crabtree starbreaker I've worked on once, but no bloody wholesaler here stocks or can (wants more like) get breakers for it. Square D has had that style of setup for years though. The Merlin stuff with the slide lock I like, especially in 3 phase as you don't take the cover off just to have potential death looking at you. Not sure which ranges Schneider are carrying on though.

I'd prefer to use 1 type of board and then keep the stock for it, but its never that simple. The biggest issue I have is I can test an RCD of any make, I can't test an MCB.

As for reliabilty the old Wylex stuff is great. Their rewireable and 1361 fused range with 30mA RCD's stood the test of time. Yet to come across a faulty RCD from that era, which is a lot more than can be said of the modern day stuff!

You've got to wonder how anyone is justifying charging £25-35 for an RCBO. Granted they need to go through more rigorous testing than an MCB, but they've been around for years, and don't exactly contain any technologies younger than 50 years.

D80 so true, loads of faulty 'modern' RCDs/RCCBs, not one older one.

Fastest disconnecting recorded, an old WYLEX 'brick' as main isolator. Under 5mS

Wylex and crabtree are the only brands I ever used when I was doing the job full time. Liked OLD old MK sentry (New in 1979 catalogue and used through 1980's / 90's), but won't ever touch them again after seeing the one a very good sparky fitted at my mum's new in 2010 - so flimsy and bendy that I can't quite believe they are up to regs!

Reply to what is your preferred brand of consumer unit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net