Discuss Why part P is here. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

problem would be the degrading of EICRs with home owners,landlords etc. screwing the price down so the muppets will be doing 5 a day at £40 a pop. making up the figures.
wall as far as the landlords are concerned Tel...well their allready at it arn`t they....the look of shock on their face when you tell em how much to ECR one of their 2 bed renteds..lol..priceless..

Part p pish jobs for the boys bring back just good honest sparks that have done their 4 years and stop chucking out 5 weekers that think they are invincible but I do agree we have to shoot down the cowboys too but part p is not the way to do it

If it were necessary, i.e. it was costing them lots of money, rest assured they would have.

It is starting to happen on commercial properties round here. Lots of insurance companies refusing to insure without an EICR. This is for Hotels, Guest Houses and Holiday Apartments.
The local Council are also trialling 'selective licensing' on all HMO's and buildings that are multiple dwellings. This includes electrical safety testing. It is supposed to involve council depts working together including Building Control. So hopefully it will drive up standards. Personally I doubt it as those of us who comply with the laws will continue to do so and those that don't comply with law will continue to do so.

:26:
It is starting to happen on commercial properties round here. Lots of insurance companies refusing to insure without an EICR. This is for Hotels, Guest Houses and Holiday Apartments.
The local Council are also trialling 'selective licensing' on all HMO's and buildings that are multiple dwellings. This includes electrical safety testing. It is supposed to involve council depts working together including Building Control. So hopefully it will drive up standards. Personally I doubt it as those of us who comply with the laws will continue to do so and those that don't comply with law will continue to do so.

They would invariably make rules that are not wanted and will be a waste of time and money

They will straight away stipulate that the Eicr is carried out by an Niceic contractor.there would be no reference to the person actually doing the report being competent
Qualified skilled and experienced electricians being excluded with possible "supervised" incompetents doing the reports

It would become a gravy train for what we have now. incompetent reports, paid for by the businesses

happy new year:sifone:

local councils should confine their activities to what they are competent at..... emptying bins and repairing the roads. once they get involved with things like electrical work, they convene endless meetings, produce countless 1000 page reports, blabbing on about what should be done, but end up nowhere, then up the council tax to pay for it all.

Reply to Why part P is here. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net