Discuss Will this work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have to say that, like the other guys, I am amazed that your "electrician" doesn't want to help you. I appreciate that if he's either old school (and set in his ways), or new to the trade, he may not be fully conversant with LED lighting, but come on!, it's his job to find these things out for his customers.
It sounds to me like he's just trying to pass the buck, so that if he can't get them to work, it'll be your fault for choosing the "wrong ones".

Ok then Welsh, here's a few questions to ask yourself and the electrician since you seem unable to get rid of him.
Is he qualified/competent and have enough relevant experience to carry out this job?
Does he carry liability insurance in case of something going horribly wrong (Fingers crossed that it won't of course)?
Does he have access to calibrated test equipment and know how to use it and interpret the results it gives him?
Is he going to provide an Electrical Installation Certificate at the end of the job?
If he answers no to any of the above I'd say you could pedal him with a clear conscience. I wouldn't expect anyone to hire a tradesman of any description just because of some tenuous family history, especially one that seems like he can't be bothered. I know some qualified blokes in all sorts of trades who I wouldn't trust as far as I could spit others I'd stake my life on them being able to do something, it's the latter ones who get hired.

He's defo wiring this himself...

Well, I hate to always be cynical, but it's amazing how many people come on here stating that their "electrician" will be carrying out work, but can't or won't help them.
I understand that sometimes we all tell customers to choose light fittings they like (but always with provisos such as IP rating), but I've never needed a customer of mine to ask on a forum how to actually carry out the wiring.

Believe me,people in these parts are very good at having a crack at anything especially electrics
Money here in Wales is much tighter and the usual attitude is to have a go

I can't see someone disregarding safety to the point of employing a family wannabe so I think this is a have a go hero

To be fair to the man at least he is making an effort to find out the info,even if it may end with
the recessed lighting attempt ending up resembling pretty little blow lamps in the ceilings

Look, I am not wiring this myself - I have absolutel no idea aside from what I've garnered on the internet in the past few weeks. I just want to make sure the bloke who is putting this together is going to do a decent job. I have tried to talk to him, but everything is very 'yeah, yeah no problem' and he simply won't engage with my questions. I'm sure he's fitted a ton of switch on/off lights, but frankly, it doesn't look like he's had any experience with LEDs and their nuances.

Initially I was looking at cove lighting using LED strips/drivers/transformers etc - but it got so complicated I gave up. My electrician did not have a clue, and plainly said he had never fitted that type of light - Alas, I decided it was safer to go down the downlight route.

I am having my house completely renovated - he comes part of the package as it is a team of people doing the work - I am happy with the rest of the group, just not him, it has completely stressed me out trying to understand this - even to the point where it is causing strains on my relationship. Believe me, if I was able to do this myself I really would!

Ok then Welsh, here's a few questions to ask yourself and the electrician since you seem unable to get rid of him.
Is he qualified/competent and have enough relevant experience to carry out this job?
Does he carry liability insurance in case of something going horribly wrong (Fingers crossed that it won't of course)?
Does he have access to calibrated test equipment and know how to use it and interpret the results it gives him?
Is he going to provide an Electrical Installation Certificate at the end of the job?
If he answers no to any of the above I'd say you could pedal him with a clear conscience. I wouldn't expect anyone to hire a tradesman of any description just because of some tenuous family history, especially one that seems like he can't be bothered. I know some qualified blokes in all sorts of trades who I wouldn't trust as far as I could spit others I'd stake my life on them being able to do something, it's the latter ones who get hired.

Thanks, this is good advice - and the sort of thing I will ask. I have a meeting with the team this Thursday, so I'll put questions like this to him.

he comes part of the package as it is a team of people doing the work - I am happy with the rest of the group, just not him, it has completely stressed me out trying to understand this - even to the point where it is causing strains on my relationship. Believe me, if I was able to do this myself I really would!

Makes me wonder if he does this on all his jobs as he doesn't appear to do his bit for the TEAM and properly liase with the customer

Look, I am not wiring this myself - I have absolutel no idea aside from what I've garnered on the internet in the past few weeks. I just want to make sure the bloke who is putting this together is going to do a decent job. I have tried to talk to him, but everything is very 'yeah, yeah no problem' and he simply won't engage with my questions. I'm sure he's fitted a ton of switch on/off lights, but frankly, it doesn't look like he's had any experience with LEDs and their nuances.

Initially I was looking at cove lighting using LED strips/drivers/transformers etc - but it got so complicated I gave up. My electrician did not have a clue, and plainly said he had never fitted that type of light - Alas, I decided it was safer to go down the downlight route.

Sounds like you are not going to get the end result you want while you pander to this sparks lack of interest and ability. You need to bin him and get a spark in that you can engage with who can deliver the lighting solution you want and more to the point your other half wants, so why compromise

There is always the possibility that this Electrician does know what he's doing but just can't be bothered engaging with an electrically clueless person. I'm totally hopeless at trying to explain tech stuff to those not in know!

There is always the possibility that this Electrician does know what he's doing but just can't be bothered engaging with an electrically clueless person. I'm totally hopeless at trying to explain tech stuff to those not in know!

So you would allow a clueless customer to buy the correct parts? I wouldn't

If your customer goes glassy eyed when you try to explain something then you tailor the advice for the hard of understanding

If he's a family friend and you are getting him to do the work for free or super cheap family rate then don't expect him to do anything but the bare minimum he can get away with.

If you are paying him proper rates then he should be doing what you ask him to do. 'He who pays the piper calls the tune' r From reading your posts it looks liek you have chosen what you want installed (led coving lights) but the electrician has dictated that you can't have these for whatever reason, this sounds like you are being bullied to me. If he refuses to do what you ask of him then play the consumer rights card seek advise from the CAB or trading standards.

Reply to Will this work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net