Discuss Breaks & smoke breaks in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening All

Just seeing what others policy on breaks ( & smoke breaks) are.

I'm a non-smoker so would be good to have feedback from both smokers & non-smokers.

I presently work alongside both my apprentices who both smoke and need their fix as often as they can.

The way we have it at the moment is for a standard day 08:00-17:00 (if there is such a thing):

Break around 10:00 (10/15 mins)
Break around 13:00 (15/20 mins)
2 to 3 smoke breaks at 5/10 mins each :smoking:

I pay a full 9 hour day and don't deduct anything for their breaks.

And theres me that just stops for 15mins throughout the whole day if I'm lucky.... boo hoo :sweatdrop:

Any thoughts please, do others deduct for breaks ? And how long do you allow.

Have nothing in their contracts as of yet regarding breaks.

Thanks Sy

the thing is if you employ them I think by law they are entitled to so much time for breaks.

ill be honest a lot of big firms have longer breaks than that.

10am for breakfast
13 for lunch
3pm for tea etc.

we usually stop to eat a sandwich anywhere from 10-13 and then back to it

it's pretty standard to have 15mins around 10.00am with pay. 30mins lunch break without pay. you should be paying 8+1/2 hours. smoke breaks are at your discretion.

Do they set a alarm to get their fix when asleep too? I doubt it so point out to them they can go 8 hours at night without a smoke so just 3 or 4 hours shouldn't be a problem.

I smoke, but I don't take any extra breaks - one in the morning, one at break time, one (maybe 2) at lunch, then one after work. If I'm outside anyway for a work-related reason I might sneak in an ad-hoc cigarette, but I'm not one of these people who has to down tools every hour for an extra 10 minute break, and I resent being accused of doing so,
On one job we were outside getting stuff out of the container or something and took the opportunity for a cigarette, then this 50-something ex-IT labourer (you know the type) chirps in with "I think I should start smoking", the reason being because he thought it would entitle him to 'extra breaks'; of course the point was we were smoking because we were outside, we hadn't gone outside to smoke.

Years ago when I worked in an office there was this old woman who used to 'down tools' and go off for an extra 15 minute break every afternoon as a reward for not smoking. I suppose she assumed all the smokers were taking extra breaks (they weren't) so ironically she was taking more breaks than everyone else, and still moaning about it.

I smoke but when I'm at work I only do it if there's an official break or if I'm going to get something from a store outside. My view is why should I get a break just because of my bad habit. (that obviously only applies if I'm subbing) You're paid to work not to have a tab.
Now ok, I don't think anyone ever does a full shift. There's always banter going on and that means that you'll stop for a couple of minutes for a crack with the lads but that's expected and is all part of working on site as part of a team

The boss was the worst culprit when he showed his face on site!

I'm talking about the real boss here, the one who's grandad started the company and we all had massive respect for, not the idiot middle-management we all suffered from.

I would suggest you tell them they have 20 mins at 10am, 30 mins at 1pm and 10 mins at 3-30pm and they can smoke during those 3 breaks and no other time, they need to learn standing about smoking is not in their job title.

our place has an official smoke hut and allows smokers an extra break between 3.00 and 3.30, however the majority of workers are general operators so they still have to hit he same output targets as non smokers so they usually make it a quick 5min job

I think to be honest it is at your discretion whether you allow it or not.....perhaps make it clear you dont mind them having a ciggy but dont take the **** !!!!
Anyway im going for a smoke be back soon !!!

Cheers Guys..

Think we may have a change around.

No smoke breaks, but half hour lunch and 15mins t, deduct half hour lunch.

We'll see how that goes down tomorrow.

Im not fussed either way really, they're both hard workers.

(If we work later..10hours plus always give them another break and usually a Maccys)

if you have more staff in the future and 2 or 3 keep going out for smoke breaks the others who do not smoke may get upset lol, that may be fun for you to handle haha

I think the key to any employer/employee relationship is a bit of give and take on both sides. Whe I was a leader of men I'd let the lads go early if they had done everything that was expected of them, likewise if the job needed an extra half an hour or so I expected them to stick around and get it done. It very soon becomes clear who is prepared to be a bit flexible and who wants it all their own way, once that's established the flexible ones get a better crack of the whip.
As long as someone isn't taking the mick then I'm happy to turn a blind eye to a lot of things as long as the graft gets done properly.

Nicorette patches over there eyes so they cant find there ciggys. What i have found in the past is that smokers actually think they have a right to these little breaks Just because they smoke and that annoys the hell out of the non smokers which then causes ****e between your employess which in turn wastes more of your time !!!!!

Cheers Guys..

Think we may have a change around.

No smoke breaks, but half hour lunch and 15mins t, deduct half hour lunch.

We'll see how that goes down tomorrow.

Im not fussed either way really, they're both hard workers.

(If we work later..10hours plus always give them another break and usually a Maccys)

it is a bit miserable to be cutting their wages after already paying them for their lunch, your effectively giving them a pay cut
, you even said yourself they're both hard workers

I find that these E cigs are starting to be more of a problem than the originals , at least with a true cigarette there was a defined down time whilst having one .
With the electronic version I have noticed that it can spend the whole day in someone's hand if not pointed out .

I don't smoke and when on the job really work hard til my breaks

So start 10till 11 then half an hour break 11.30 till 1.30 then an hour break then flat out till 4 with just 2 breaks for a drink

Reply to Breaks & smoke breaks in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net