Discuss EICR - How much do you check? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been to 2 different rental properties this week, one for an EICR and the other for a report of the smell of fish from the shower isolator when the shower was in use.

As part of the EICR, I removed the shower cover to measure R1+R2 and Zs at the shower and a general inspection, only to discover a loose connection and a badly damaged terminal block in the shower which had overheated. Also at the same property in same shower, a loose connection had melted the back of the isolation pull cord so the isolator was stuck permanently on. Both rectified and put back into service.

At the fish smelling isolator, it was a wall mounted 45A DP isolator with neon outside the bathroom. Same again, loose connection, melting the cable insulation and back of the switch.

Being rental properties I hoped to get hold of the previous EICR's but I had no access to them for one reason or another, but I did wonder if anyone had ever checked these items before. In both cases the cables were so loose in their connectors I question whether they had ever been tightened and also whether they had ever been checked.

Loose connection overheat.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Its usually a progressive exercise,find problems and look deeper for more
Having said that,shower circuit connections are notorious for being poor and they need inspecting as routine.

Looking at the effort that was made in those pictures,I would be on my best rip the installation to bits behaviour

A couple of strands missing out of the neutral as well.

Its usually a progressive exercise,find problems and look deeper for more
Having said that,shower circuit connections are notorious for being poor and they need inspecting as routine.

Looking at the effort that was made in those pictures,I would be on my best rip the installation to bits behaviour
I did - It wasn't hard though, most of it was staring me in the face without digging deep. It's a real mess.

don't let IET see those pics. the 18th will have an amendment within 12 months , calling for all showers to be housed in non-combustible enclosures.

Lol I'm imagining a galvanised cubicle with wired glass door. Swmbo would have a fit. Could always fit a sprinkler as well, just to be on the safe side. Maybe the sprinkler could then be used as the shower. Hang on ! It's a "there's a hole in my bucket" moment.

don't let IET see those pics. the 18th will have an amendment within 12 months , calling for all showers to be housed in non-combustible enclosures.
Just noticed the implications of your post Tel very clever indeed.

Reply to EICR - How much do you check? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net