Discuss Gender Neutral Confusion.............. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

IMO, if a person is "gender neutral" he/she/it either is born with a penis and a vagina, or neither of these. anyone who does not fall into one of the above and calls themselves gender neutral is living in cloud cuckoo land and should be certified and , if necessary, confined to an institution (with gender neutral staff, of course).

what's wrong with fat birds? more to get hold of.
Whatever turns you on, I prefer slim birds more room in the bed for me and they don't eat much when you take them out so leaves me more money to spend on cars and Knipex tools.

I think I bumped in to your other half the other day, I say bumped but I was flattened.......

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 16.27.26.jpg

Alan Turing was helped by Polish mathematicians who had already broken the code and they taught him how to build the electro mechanical devices, during the war the Enigma codes became more complex and then Turing built his computer, the student learns from his teacher.

They did, but he & others secured a different method to the Polish, which would not be effected by changes made by the Germans, which they eventually did do.

Well I've just read all the responses and I'm greatful that so many of them are well considered and informative.

A couple of things that I noticed are firstly there's a definate lack of consensus on nearly all the issues discussed. I'm not sure what this says or means, maybe it's something that's seen differently by younger and older people or male and female people or even politically aware and unaware people. The lack of consensus isn't just on this forum, it seems to be the case on the internet in general. The confusion for me is it seems to be something that can't be described clearly without reverting to the use of many other terms that also seem to lack clear definition and often also suffer from the same lack of consensus regarding their exact meaning. So...regarding exactly what 'gender neutral' is, why someone might feel the need to declare it and how you'd go about enforcing gender neutrality in everyday life I'm still not 100% clear but it's obviously something that's a big issue in this particular guys life.

It sounds to me like declaring it with such priority to others would be similar to taking exception to a form that enquires your religion and gives tick boxes for Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Other and None and someone going into a rant on how they're agnostic and definately not athiest.....like it should make a difference to anyone else other than themselves.

Just for info, the guy isn't likely to make an interview, there are several better qualified and more experience candidates.

Should we assume therefore that all gay people are like this? No. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt rather that judging them before I've even met them. And that, I think, is the crux of the matter. Judge everyone on their own merit.

Absolutely, we should not judge the whole on the actions of a few, but gender identity (which these labels relate to) is nothing to do with sexuality. Claiming to be gender neutral says nothing about whether this person is gay/straight/bi.

It's well established that homosexuality is, like being truly transgendered, a biological facet of the individual. A facet they have no control over. Therefore to discriminate against them for being gay or truly transgendered would be wrong.

As an individual, I don't really care what people get up to in the bedroom and who they choose to get up to it with. As a potential employer I care about it even less, it's none of my business as realistically, that aspect of a person should have little to no impact on my business and therefore I wouldn't expect to see a statement on someones CV to the effect of "Sexuality: Gay". If I did I'd probably think "agenda" and file the CV in the bin.

But we aren't talking about biology here, we're talking about arbitrary labels that people can assign to themselves on a whim, by themselves with no guidance or say so from a medical professional qualified to make that judgement... labels that, due to the politically correct agenda of mainstream media and politicians, grant those individuals protection that they would not ordinarily be afforded. Protection that could have an impact on me and my business.

So, as with sexuality, someone's gender identity is of no interest to me as an employer as it should not impact the business in anyway (with one exception... if that person is public facing where how they present could impact the business in a negative way). The fact they've put this on their CV suggests they have an agenda and unfortunately, asking about it at interview and then rejecting their application puts you in an awkward position, so in my opinion the most sensible thing to do is reject the application before it gets to that stage.

The human mind is a complex thing. Who can say this persons feelings about themselves, has been influenced by society/media. It just could be the way they feel, who are we to say otherwise. The way we conceive things changes over time, we evolve.

Absolutely, and I think that's a very important point... being gender neutral is in the mind, it's an expression of character, or personality, of being who you want to be. It's not a characteristic of one's biology like sex or sexuality.

Just over 60 years ago a guy committed suicide after being found guilty of gross indecency in private. Homosexuality was decriminalised some ten years later in the UK, in 1967. Societies attitudes towards homosexuality have change completely in recent years, which was seen as an illness, that could be cured. What should are attitudes to gender neutral peoples be like?

If there was any medical evidence to suggest it is anything more than arbitrary self assigned labels, then I would treat them in the same way as I treat everyone else. Unfortunately, the first instances of these terms appear to stem from certain social media platforms not medical journals and as yet I don't believe there is any medical evidence to back them up.

If you've never seen the full list of 57 genders (or whatever it is), check it out (Genderfluid Support - http://genderfluidsupport.tumblr.com/gender) and then tell me this isn't just a stupid fad.

As for employing such a person as in the OP, which staff toilets wolt it use, or would you have to build a gender neutral set of bogs for it?

Whilst it may seem far fetched, this could be an issue and I see a number of possible ways this would play out. In most cases, I could see a strong case for "No, don't be bloody daft" but under a certain set of conditions I could see a strong case for "Yes, you will build them their own toilet or face the wrath of anti-discrimination laws", and those conditions begin with the fact they've stated this on their CV, because it was there at the point of hiring, they haven't hidden the fact and therefore they can claim you as an employer were aware of their needs/rights when you hired them.

Some are suggesting this person should not be considered for an interview, just because he or she is gender neutral. You can dress that up as much as you want, but that is discrimination.

I'm suggesting I personally wouldn't consider them for interview because by making a thing out of it and explicitly stating it on their CV it makes me think they have a politically correct agenda that would result in trouble for me. And yes, that is me using discrimination to make what I believe would be the right choice for my business, as is my right as a potential employer.

I suppose that's okay until you suffer at the hands of discrimination.

Being gingered haired and having freckles, doesn't fit snuggle within the 9 protected characteristics of the Equality Act, but a carrot top would feel a bit pee'd he did not get the job 'cos he's a ginge.

Again, as with sexuality, having ginger hair and/or freckles is biology and I would agree, discriminating on the basis of looks is wrong, except if those looks will be public facing... then I should have the right to choose who will represent my company. My business model might rely on all public facing staff having blonde hair, or I might not want a tattooed youth with 15" wheel rims stuck through his ear lobes to be the first person someone sees when they walk into the reception area of my office. That's my choice, it's my brand... unfortunately if you make that kind of decision, you run the risk of being had for discriminating which is plainly wrong.

Well said, but as we see again and again its the minority that seems to control the majority.

Yes, it is, because they are the most vocal and cause the most trouble, and also because anyone that speaks out against their agenda is branded as a hater, sometimes being publicly doxed, abused and shamed for daring to have a different opinion to these people.

It's the same sort of situation that exists in the UK with regards to say the Muslim rape gangs (amongst other things). People dare not speak out because they fear the consequences.

I don't have an issue with anyone if they're not adversely affecting me. Live and let live my friend.

I totally agree, people can do and be whatever they want to be... on their time, but at work they should be prepared to conform to societal standards and rules and those of the company, but I think this is part of the problem... we're breeding a generation of people who want their own way all of the time and therefore they believe they should be allowed to dress and behave however they want, whenever they want... and the kicker is, laws are changing and it is becoming increasingly difficult for employers to ignore what 10 years ago would have been considered unreasonable staff demands.

By using these labels, which have hijacked the term transgendered, these people can claim you're discriminating against them on the basis they are "transgendered" (personally I prefer the term I've seen used on-line quite a bit - transtrender) which is a protected status in most Western equality legislation and hey presto they have you over a barrel. Which is why if sexuality and/or gender identity is important enough to make it onto a CV, I think agenda, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and well... I'm not willing to take that risk.

Personally I find it inappropriate to make statements such as gender neutral in an application, what point is it intended to serve? It suggests either a political motive by forcing this into the working arena or as someone has said an expression that suggests they are a victim and therefore worthy of preferential consideration. There is far too much thrusting of peoples personal inclinations these days, they really are of little interest to people other than family and friends. No I am not bigoted in any way, over 70 now and have batted for the other side, as used to be said, all my life way before the law changed. I and my partner behaved just like everyone else, private was private it was never discussed. However, people did realise and when in 2000 there was a petrol crisis and my partner was seriously ill in hospital before he eventually died, a builder I worked with then phoned to say he and his lads had emptied their lawn mowers of petrol and left it in a jerry can so I could go to Bristol without worrying about petrol. My experience is that most people are decent, jokes are usually just jokes without any malice. Now people just seem to want attention but honestly most of us really have no hangups anyway unless you become overly annoying like maybe X factor.

Absolutely, and I think that's a very important point... being gender neutral is in the mind, it's an expression of character, or personality, of being who you want to be. It's not a characteristic of one's biology like sex or sexuality.

Again, as with sexuality, having ginger hair and/or freckles is biology and I would agree, discriminating on the basis of looks is wrong, except if those looks will be public facing... then I should have the right to choose who will represent my company. My business model might rely on all public facing staff having blonde hair, or I might not want a tattooed youth with 15" wheel rims stuck through his ear lobes to be the first person someone sees when they walk into the reception area of my office. That's my choice, it's my brand... unfortunately if you make that kind of decision, you run the risk of being had for discriminating which is plainly wrong.

QUOTE]

?

If being gender neutral is in the mind, then there's no difference with that and believing in a God. Yet religion, belief or lack of religion/belief is one of the protected characteristics.

Of course there is an occupational requirement for a particular person or type of person, which would otherwise disproportionally affect your business, you carry out positive discrimination.

Years ago, air stewardess, were as in the name all female of a certain 'type'. Not the case nowadays; do you recall the Virgin Airways retro tv advert, 'featuring crowds ogling its glitzy female cabin crew', but the pilots were all men. The ASA ruled it was not sexist, but I can't seem to find the video now?

The most salient fact in my mind to emerge from discussion is the fact that it has become a potential legal minefield especially for empoyers but also for individuals. This should not be the case as the state has no business in legislating regards how one individual thinks about another. The fact that we discuss this misses the underlying fact that the state has made it dangerous for us to hate or dislike even. That is a very ominous and sinister thought control which should never be accepted. As much as the "useful idiots" say "we are free to love who or what we want", so should it be accepted to hate or dislike as freely.
When the Law of the land requires us to acquiesce to the notion that it is perfectly normal and even desirable for society to be made up of sexually deviant practices, although in principle there may be some merits in that, we have to step back and wonder whether our ministers have lost the plot!
Where we do not accept that notion and voice it, we may be prosecuted and put in to a prison. This may ruin our lives and business and destroy our family, but no matter, as long as the feelings of someone who is offended is protected all is good. Or is it? Sadly there are many "useful idiots" who will support this state of affairs (they hate the haters!) by ostracising and attacking anyone who does not support these abnormalities.
P.S.
deviant
ˈdiːvɪənt/
adjective
adjective: deviant
departing from usual or accepted standards, especially in social or sexual behaviour.
"deviant behaviour"

Yes, it is, because they are the most vocal and cause the most trouble, and also because anyone that speaks out against their agenda is branded as a hater, sometimes being publicly doxed, abused and shamed for daring to have a different opinion to these people.

It's the same sort of situation that exists in the UK with regards to say the Muslim rape gangs (amongst other things). People dare not speak out because they fear the consequences.

Normal decent people knuckle down and get on with their lives, there are far too many people only interested in stirring things up, we all have worked with someone who just complains and moans all the time, the barrack room lawyer we used to call them, we know have the people wanting to get rid of statues that have stood for 150 years due to issues with slavery and the colonial past, me being of Polish decent do I go after the muslims and ask them for an apology due to the Ottoman empire enslaving the Slavs in the 13th and 14th century?

Well we here in the UK are in the midst of such things as you mention @Marvo. It has been given legal credence and there are moves to remove gender assignment from passports. Clearly people are latching on to this movement of gender disphoria. i.e. being creative regarding ones biological sex. I see that some people describe this as cultural marxism. What underpins society is gender role assignment based on obvious biological facts which in turn form the family unit. Remove this and you undermine some of the most important underpinning tenets of a society. Which is after all is the stated aim of cultural marxism. Most disturbingly when legal acts are passed which ratify and amplify this we can be sure our government has embraced the same aims.
Some people genuinely resent and reject being pigeon holed into such a simple and obvious classification. This is an internal process which allows people to be gender fluid as it is named. And indeed why should anyone be pigeon holed? However it to my mind shows they have bought into a lie, maybe a pretty lie but lie nonetheless. Such mental processes which brook no debate or questioning presage an ominous totalitarianism, the kind of thing I feel quite allergic to.
This flies in the face of what might be called common sense. i.e. if you have a penis you are a male, if you have a vagina you are a female yes? Well...apparently no. So who will you believe the person saying they are neither either or both, or your own eyes. You may be aware of same sex marriage being legalised fairly extensively. Clearly "normal" relations and obvious sexual determinations are being stood on their head and defy logic.
I feel somewhat encouraged that some women now are back-tracking on feminism and deciding maybe being career rich and relationship poor are not good life choices. And that maybe men should be men and women should be women, who knows eh?
I have been most disturbed to find my grandchildren (boys, male)coming home from school talking of wanting to be a female as they have decided that today as a result of classroom teaching. With that and other matters I decided to withdraw them from school and home educate them. While others may debate the above I do not.
I do feel sorry for S.A. if that is looming on your agenda. I suggest as others here have you take vigorous legal advice regarding how you will deal with this as it grows. Not only for applicants but also for people who are employed with you and sufficiently immersed in cultural marxism as to cause you great distress when you say or do the wrong thing. Many have been sacrificed here on the altar of political correctness (read cultural marxism)
Somebody took the red pill, respect!

The most salient fact in my mind to emerge from discussion is the fact that it has become a potential legal minefield especially for empoyers but also for individuals. This should not be the case as the state has no business in legislating regards how one individual thinks about another. The fact that we discuss this misses the underlying fact that the state has made it dangerous for us to hate or dislike even. That is a very ominous and sinister thought control which should never be accepted. As much as the "useful idiots" say "we are free to love who or what we want", so should it be accepted to hate or dislike as freely.
When the Law of the land requires us to acquiesce to the notion that it is perfectly normal and even desirable for society to be made up of sexually deviant practices, although in principle there may be some merits in that, we have to step back and wonder whether our ministers have lost the plot!
Where we do not accept that notion and voice it, we may be prosecuted and put in to a prison. This may ruin our lives and business and destroy our family, but no matter, as long as the feelings of someone who is offended is protected all is good. Or is it? Sadly there are many "useful idiots" who will support this state of affairs (they hate the haters!) by ostracising and attacking anyone who does not support these abnormalities.
P.S.
deviant
ˈdiːvɪənt/
adjective
adjective: deviant
departing from usual or accepted standards, especially in social or sexual behaviour.
"deviant behaviour"

We could all be exactly the same, therefore there would be no probability of anybody disliking anyone for anything or have reason to.

Shall we go for blond hair & blue eyes. Seem to recall someone had that idea once.

Sparky Chick's posts are right on the nail

Just for info, the guy isn't likely to make an interview, there are several better qualified and more experience candidates.

No matter how you carry out your selection process there will be grounds for an accusation of discrimination from the lesser suitable candidates or there would be in the UK.
It appears that the minority these days have influence over the majority and use it to the maximum although their discrimination is called Political Correctness

If being gender neutral is in the mind, then there's no difference with that and believing in a God. Yet religion, belief or lack of religion/belief is one of the protected characteristics.

I have mixed feelings about whether religion should feature as one of the protected characteristics.

Providing it has no impact on the business, each to their own.

But in some cases it can cause inconvenience for the business and it's staff, it can cost the business money and can cause ill feeling amongst staff if religion is the basis on which some special treatment is meated out (for example someone is allowed to break uniform policy for the sake of their religion).

So, I don't think you should be allowed to discriminate against someone because of it (unless there is an operational reason - a devout Muslim girl who insists on wearing the burka for example wouldn't make a very good makeup counter girl), but I don't think it should allow employees carte blanch to make demands of their employers that someone from another faith/no faith could not make. Using the example of uniform policy... if it states no necklaces, then that means no necklaces... it should not mean no necklaces unless they are a religious item in which case, do as you please.

Part of the reason I have mixed feelings about it is that many of the characteristics that are protected are biological in origin (age, being transsexual, disability, race, sex, sexual orientation)... religion isn't... religion is a choice (some may argue this, but ultimately you can elect to leave religion and unless you were indoctrinated as a child, there is a good chance you made a conscious decision to follow a faith), just like being married (or in a civil partnership) or being pregnant. Why should the choices people make afford them the same protection as biological factors they have no control over?

The biggest problem I have with a lot of this stuff is it started out as a drive for equal treatment for all. I believe we've had that for quite some time (at least for the vast majority of people - age, race, sex are the big three I think here, disability still has some way to go I feel, but I think that is down to the ability to overcome the physical or mental issues an individual is suffering), now it seems it's being used to get things others (not on the protected list) can't. Take feminists for example... 2nd wave feminists achieved equality of opportunity which is what the sex discrimination act aimed to ensure, but that's not good enough... 3rd wave feminists want equality of outcome and the sad thing is, they are making progress towards achieving that... quota based hiring for example, and edicts from government about how big companies should have 50% female boards. WTF? That's just plain wrong in every single way.

Tagging yourself in a way that puts you in one of the protected categories can give you the upper hand compared to others (positive discrimination, to meet an equality quota for example, can push an otherwise unacceptable candidate up the short list), and that's partly why I have such a huge issue with the whole non-binary, gender fluid thing, that and the vast majority of people involved in the social justice movement are completely incapable of listening to other people with whom they disagree.

This thread is a fine example of adult discourse about a subject that is quite contentious... people are listening to other peoples points of view, offering counter arguments and opinions, are questioning and most importantly, we are all accepting that not everyone believes as we do and we're doing it without violence, without intimidation, we're just talking. This is the kind of discussion that needs to take place in society as a whole about things just like this, but that simply will not happen whilst people are afraid of the potential fall out. As @Vortigern suggested, get it wrong and the consequences can be severe, it really can ruin you. I don't believe I've incited hatred or violence, nor would I, but my opinions do fundamentally disagree with a lot of the leftist agenda that's present in politics and the mainstream media and by simply voicing these opinions, in the eyes of some I have committed an act of hate speech.

How sad it is that in the world in which we live, having an opinion that differs from a tiny fraction of the population and voicing it is enough to potentially ruin me.

Ultimately, unless someone is pushing an agenda, I'll treat everyone in the manner I would like them to treat me... fairly, with respect and like an adult. Where it goes from there is up to them and their actions.

Reply to Gender Neutral Confusion.............. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net