Discuss I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

after reading this, think i'll have to ring radial my psychiatrist

I work mostly in coach building/mobile hospitality building, We very rarely use ring finals for sockets for the following reasons:

layouts are always being messed with, so easier to change not having to keep in a ring.

If a cable gets damaged in transit, we only loose a small circuit covering a couple of sockets, rather than a ring which would cover a much bigger area.

some installs are for europeans, and a ring would confuse them!

If something starts tripping while in use, and a muppet starts playing with the DB, no chance of him putting the 2 legs on a different phase!!

The only times a ring has really been used is when there will be heavy usage and only room for a small DB.

I now just prefer multiple radials for other work mainly for their simplicity.
Have to be a complete Plank to put the lives on a RFC on 2 differing phases, don't you bother to do any testing then, or is it a case of install, connect and hope for the best?

Ring supplying almost whole house (bad & old design) had broken possibly for a while. Socket nearest db on longer leg had a hairdryer plugged in and melted cable insulation leading to a dead short.

Please tell us more:
Was the faulty leg of cable thermally damaged throughout its length (or throughout the section with the lowest Iz if not constant?)
What cable type, CSA and install method? What OCPD? Would it have been fully compliant had the ring been intact?

If the main argument here is that external factors can cause a ring to split which can cause 32a protection to be too much for the cable .....what about if an external factor causes the 20a radial to be redirected / modified to travel through an insulated stud wall ref 103 or 101? My point being external influences can happen at any point and change characteristics.

Anyone uses 25A instead 32A for rings ?

I did, once, on a recent board change. Early 1980s bungalow with all cables in loft, later covered with insulation. Ref meth 101 not allowed.

According to my copy of the IEE wiring regs 14th edition amended 1976, reg A.33 (ii) "for ring final sub-circuits, the current rating of the conductors forming the ring is not less than 0.67 times the rating of the fuse or circuit breaker protecting the final sub-circuit". Putting it on a 25A would have it comply with the regs back then.

It wouldn't comply with current regs, but my 3rd party guy notifying it was happy with it (I'm not yet on a scheme), and it was a lot less itchy than putting conduit on every damn cable up there.

@Pretty Mouth If it happens and found an existing circuit on twin 4mm cable radial circuit i install 25A and remove the 32A.
I also install 25A on some circuits for example if is a 1 bedroom area only, or a living room area etc which i know there only few sockets and to use 30A load seems not possible.
On areas like the kitchen or machinery areas like garage i use 32A

I did, once, on a recent board change. Early 1980s bungalow with all cables in loft, later covered with insulation. Ref meth 101 not allowed.

According to my copy of the IEE wiring regs 14th edition amended 1976, reg A.33 (ii) "for ring final sub-circuits, the current rating of the conductors forming the ring is not less than 0.67 times the rating of the fuse or circuit breaker protecting the final sub-circuit". Putting it on a 25A would have it comply with the regs back then.

It wouldn't comply with current regs, but my 3rd party guy notifying it was happy with it (I'm not yet on a scheme), and it was a lot less itchy than putting conduit on every damn cable up there.
14th edition bit behind the times Mate, it's the 18th now nearly

I'm surprised what this is still going.
I'm feeling left out so I would just like to say, this should have finished at @wirepuller post #20, which pretty much sums this thread up.

Reply to I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net