Discuss Install cert required if eicr has been done in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

The point of certification, is to detail what work has been conducted, to record appropriate test results, to confirm the work conducted satisfies the Regulations and to state the date the work was completed.

Yes and did what the bpg said because the reasons they gave to why it should be done i agreed with because i want to know what the installation im going to put a new board in is safe. Doing the same thing again after i dont agree with

I think the main issue was about the certification. As you said your doing and EICR and not an EIC certificate. The thing is the works carried out has to be certificated and notified so the client has all relevant documents identifying the WORKS YOU CARRIED OUT and not an EICR which is simply a report on an existing installation

I think the main issue was about the certification. As you said your doing and EICR and not an EIC certificate. The thing is the works carried out has to be certificated and notified so the client has all relevant documents identifying the WORKS YOU CARRIED OUT and not an EICR which is simply a report on an existing installation

Yes and did what the bpg said because the reasons they gave to why it should be done i agreed with because i want to know what the installation im going to put a new board in is safe. Doing the same thing again after i dont agree with

Like I said then, just do what you feel like. You just need to inform your customers that your installations don't comply with the regulations because you know better that their silly requirements. They should be fine with that once you explain you just ignore the bits you don't understand.

Let’s get a couple of things straight.
First off an EICR is a report on whether an installation is safe for continued use, not a report to say whether it is safe to make alterations or additions.
If you want to conduct an EICR to check whether it’s safe to change tails and a CU, that’s your decision.
It’s not something required by BS7671.
Secondly an EIC is a record of the work conducted, a record of appropriate inspections and tests, comments on the existing installation (if any), a recommendation as to when the installation should be inspected, a signed confirmation by the designer, installer and inspector that the work complies with the Regulations and a record of when the work was completed.
It’s also required by BS7671, unlike an EICR.

How do you know that the RCDs are not faulty or that they haven't added to your Zs value as I've had that before, It provides a written record of the work after you've completed.

As others have stated, it's required by both bs7671 and part p.

Last edited:
Your main question is if you have done an EICR then why do you need to fill out and EIC? The main reason for me is that you have pulled the main consumer unit apart breaking all the earth readings and continuity readings until you have put them back into the new consumer unit.Once fitted,how do you now know that all your earth wires are correctly seated etc unless you retest every circuit and noting the readings down? You might have left an earth wire out by accident.Retesting would prove this.
The values can change considerably on the change from old board to new board so the EICR results can become irrelevant.Also,like i said in my first post,all the breakers,rcd configurations will have changed so the EICR becomes null and void.

If i do an eicr before i change a consumer unit do i still have to do an installation cert after changing the board?
BS 7671 Requires an EIC on completion of the work it does not say that any circuit that does not comply must be put right, other than NOT to connect it in to the new CU.
The BPG says that an EICR is recommended prior to a change, but if the customer refuses to pay for one, then a pre work check should be undertaken to ensure that the circuits that are existing will not cause unnecessary tripping of the RCDs, the EIC is for the work that you carry out, i,e, the CU change, nothing else read the guide it is after all good practice.

op, the idea to do EICR first to check every thing first before hand
e.g. earths on light fitting class 1 etc. to make sure it comply to
BS 7671 .on the other hand you might find in stalling a new c/u that
some circuits have no earths on class 1 light fittings or you find VIR cable on that circuit no earths and has perished .

I only ever do a full eicr prior to a change of cu when it is old and you get the sense diy dave has worked on it over the years.
Prior to any change i check a couple things such as end to end on rings. R2 on radials. IR depending on condition of cable and whether there are cureently rcds. Bonding and a Ze test. Condition of tails and my favourite borrowed neutrals on the landing lights. It saves aggro later.
Prior to a change i also have a ritual of dancing. Screaming like a nutter and placing a pint of cider in my fridge to welcome the seal fairy along on the job. Its most important to make offerings to the seal fairy.

I do installation certs for new board changes. I’m not looking for some robot to quote regs at me. By replacing the cu with an rcd board i am improving the safety so why?? Do i have to do the same test again to get the same results

Whether or not you repeat all of the tests is up to you, you should still certify the compliance of the work you have carried out, this is done by completing an EIC.
If I was doing a CU replacement I would do the inspection and dead tests beforehand and the live tests afterwards. I certainly wouldn’t go to the trouble of writing up an EICR.

If however I was being employed to carry out an EICR then I would do so and if a new CU was required that would be a completely separate job.

Reply to Install cert required if eicr has been done in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net