Discuss Split Boards! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If any of these jokers came into my surgery they'd be leaving without something.

FFS, when are people EVER going to learn?! It is for this very reason that you lot of chumps are currently being debated by Parliament as being a cockup produced by an abortion that needs to be put to sleep.

Everyone has got to start somewhere, which I think we all agree on, but being a Electrical Trainee as a starting point is something that is obviously up for debate. I won't be nasty, but will try to be constructive.

I think what would be a good idea would be to call a local electrician (hopefully not a fellow Electrical Trainee) and explain that you are a novice and would like some guidance, who knows you might find one who will help you change it for not much money. I know a few locals sparks myself and they are all helpful and happy to share a job if you need to.

On the surface, yes, it does look easy, but theres a lot of rules and regs you have to stick to, and ensure everything is safe etc... there's a lot more to it than just unplug one and plug a new one in. You need to be able to read the results from your testing equipment, interpret them and fully understand what they mean. Unless you have a full understanding, I wouldn't even entertain it as you will have figures in front of you that you wont have a clue what they are or mean and possibly won't even have an idea of where to look to find out.

Have you got the required equipment to be able to safely carry this out and test it?

Have you got a multi-function tester or individuals?

have you got a torque screwdriver that you can set in accordance with the manufacturers instructions?

Have you got an approved voltage indicator and proving unit? I say a proving unit because as he will be changing the board, its unlikely he will have a known live supply to test against as he will either be naughty and cut the seal and whip the fuse out (hopefully not) or he will switch the isolator off and not remove the seal on the meter side of it, so would not have anywhere to test against without cutting a seal maybe...

As you are not registered with a body, do you have a copy of the "Standard Forms" to fill in? Also, as you are not registered, are you planning on telling anyone you are changing the board as its a notifiable job.

Unfortunately, nobody on here is going to be able to stop you or even possible change your mind on how you proceed as I am sure you have probably got it set in your head what you are going to do.

I have changed quite a lot of boards, and even now, i hate starting them, its ok once the new board is mounted, but up till then, i get a little twitchy even when I have previously tested everything and cant find anything obvious that's going to cause a problem.

A board change I did once, it was for a friend, I didnt test it, it was an old 3036, it was in an impossible location to get in front of so just risked it, and I ended up staying until 5am the following morning getting his power back on, so just make sure you test it first!

- - - Updated - - -

jees, that went on a bit...

At the end of the day if the OP can handle the job then hey better to do it on a family members house and have a practise I suppose.

At the end of the day if the OP can handle the job then hey better to do it on a family members house and have a practise I suppose.

Well, that is always preferable I guess, at least they can take their time and not have to look a plonker. Regardless of the route to the start point, everyone has been a beginner at some stage.

One thing I would say is, make sure you have a head torch with lots of spare batteries just encase you cannot get the power back on and it gets dark!

Where there's a Will there's a way, eh? ;)

Reply to Split Boards! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net