Discuss Washer connection in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kari

Hi, Im not sure if im actually supposed to be posting on here as im not an electrician myself??! But I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to give me a little advice?

I moved into a property earlier this year and Im not too happy with where I have to plug my washer in. There is no socket behind it or anywhere near it really and I have to use an extension lead trailing acroos the floor and up behind my cooker to the nearest socket above my worktops. I dont feel it is safe because Im worried about the wire melting when im cooking and also if the washer floods the kitchen having a socket on the floor cant be a good thing rght? :confused:

I had my landlords dad around (who IS an electrician) the other wk and mentioned it to him - who basically said that they havent done it because they would have to extend the connection from the socket above the worktop through to the bottom and that meant they would have to re-tile!!:( I have mentioned this to my friends, one of which is convinced that the washer should be on a separate connection point just like a cooker is, is this right?

I havent mentioned it to my landlord yet, i wanted to kinda know a bit about what i was askin her to do because i know she will get me to call her dad to discuss it who will probabaly fob me off again. are there any laws on my side?

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Kari xx

Well in that case it doesn't require it's own circuit, hence why they are supplied with a plug top.

Ideally a socket outlet located adjacent to the fridge would be the norm but, there are nog regs or laws to stipulate this.

Obviously your landlord has a duty of care and if you feel there is a risk by having the extension lead in its current position especially by running across the floor, then perhaps voice your concerns to him again...but he may just tell you to move the lead.

Sorry for not being much help.:)

There is nowhere else to put the lead as there is only one place the washing machine can go! But thank you for your reply x

Can the point where you plug your washing machine into the trailing lead not be raised off the floor just to give you peace of mind in the case of a flood. You can also get heat proof flex if the route the cable is taking is making it too hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lenny.,

Sorry to step in here but I have one question to ask you related to domstic cloth washer do they required to be on RCD circuit ?

Merci.
Marc

Can the point where you plug your washing machine into the trailing lead not be raised off the floor just to give you peace of mind in the case of a flood. You can also get heat proof flex if the route the cable is taking is making it too hot.

Cant really raise it unless i put a couple of bricks underneath - hardly ideal but defo better than being electrocuted if it flooded!! Heat proof flex? i will look into it, thanks, xx :)

Reply to Washer connection in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net