Discuss Will a 10mm PYRO take 80 amps ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sycamore89

Hi,

I need to change the main incoming fuse from 60A to 80A but there is a 10mm pyro feeding the property and i dont really want to replace this. The reason I need to up the supply to 80A as I am installing a sunbed which runs at 40A single phase. The load will never constantly be running at 80A so thought that the 10mm pyro would be sufficent.

Property has 2 rings with only a few computers and hairdryers etc.... has no oven but 1 microwave so not much load on any other circuits.

Would this be ok ?

As with most things of this nature, it very much depends on the reference method used for installation. Some allow higher than 80A, some don't.

But you shouldn't be messing about with the main fuse anyway, that's a job for the DNO.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHY are YOU changing the DNO fuse? WHY have you pulled the DNO fuse ? Have you asked the DNO if their supply cable can take the rise in loading? Are you an electrician ?

I have not pulled the DNO fuse yet but I will do for safe isolation while I change the cu! Property is fed by a 25mm SWA! And no I'm not a sparks I'm a plumber !!!

I have not pulled the DNO fuse yet but I will do for safe isolation while I change the cu! Property is fed by a 25mm SWA! And no I'm not a sparks I'm a plumber !!!

so WTF are you attempting a procedure that is illegal for qualified sparks to do, let alone a wet-head

The property in question is obviously a commercial one, and will consequently not be covered by part pee. Therefore if the owner thinks its ok to employ a plumber to do electrical work, then that is their problem. Can't see the insurance paying out when it burns down though :devilish:

IF you ahvent yet pulled the fuse HOW do you know its rated at 60a ?? as telex said what your proposing is ILLEGAL and this is an OPEN forum

If it says 60 on the outside then it will only take 60 MAX DNO will need to upgrade cutout as cutout is rated at 60a the fuse might only be a 40 CALL THE DNO this job cant be done by a spark never mind a 6 week plumber as for your changing the C.U I trust your client will be having the cert delivered by post filled in by joebloggs?

Reply to Will a 10mm PYRO take 80 amps ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net