Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Choosing a power supply, switch fuse size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have never said we dont have drawings guys. The guy in our office did them based on the client information. I know exactly how many sockets, where they go and how many lights in each room.

The rooms with fridges comes with an electrical panel. Each panel has a 32amp isolator. These are fine, I'm not worrying about them, everything is wired back to those panels.

The rooms without the fridge are the issue.

The lights are 63 w leds
hand driers 1500 w each
air conditioning units needs a 20 amp breaker each (from instructions)

Sorry for the misunderstandings but english is not my mother tongue, I'm not irish but live here.
Thanks

Thanks Spoon :) I just thought it would be a simple enough task to wire a few lights and sockets and everybody is making a big deal about it without really telling me anything...

If you think it is simple then go ahead and do it. It's not us making the big deal out of it - the problem is, you don't seem to know how to design a circuit, or how many sockets can go on a circuit. And you don't seem to have considered RCD protection.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you exactly how to do it then I would say the job is beyond your capabilities and you shouldn't be doing it.

If you think it is simple then go ahead and do it. It's not us making the big deal out of it - the problem is, you don't seem to know how to design a circuit, or how many sockets can go on a circuit. And you don't seem to have considered RCD protection.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you exactly how to do it then I would say the job is beyond your capabilities and you shouldn't be doing it.

There is rcd protection for the sockets with the rcbos.
I have not worked as electrician for about 20 years, I was only asking for help and found the people in this forum quite unfriendly. All very good to say what I can't do but nobody seems to be able to say what they would do in this situation

Yanu, all I can say is you are a braver man than me to come on here and declare you do electrical work for a living and "guess" at circuit design because your boss tells you to do the work.

Are you surprised that you are getting ripped to bits here?

I think you need to discuss further training with your boss or ask to be accompanied by a more experienced person when carrying out such a job.

All the best, I hope your boss gives you the support you clearly need.

Sym

Yanu, all I can say is you are a braver man than me to come on here and declare you do electrical work for a living and "guess" at circuit design because your boss tells you to do the work.

Are you surprised that you are getting ripped to bits here?

I think you need to discuss further training with your boss or ask to be accompanied by a more experienced person when carrying out such a job.

All the best, I hope your boss gives you the support you clearly need.

Sym
Yes, I'm surprised and very annoyed Sym. I dont think it's a big deal for you and the other guys to say something like: 6 mcbs of that size and 8 of the other. Maybe you dont know yourself...

No not really Mate, been shopping with Her in doors, had my lunch, oh I know, go and look at my tools for a fix, what about you?
It could be better my friend. My boss gave me a job and I have some difficulties. I decided to ask for help and not getting any, but hey, that's life right?

It could be better my friend. My boss gave me a job and I have some difficulties. I decided to ask for help and not getting any, but hey, that's life right?
Yanu, a question if you don't mind what exactly is your profession?

Yanu, a question if you don't mind what exactly is your profession?

Time to sub it out to an electrician even if it is just to design the install. You can then fit and test it to that design.

Ok so, I'm giving the job to you. How would you build that panel? You
That’s right. We don’t know. We are not there looking at the job!
But I gave you the info though. You know how many lights, sockets and everything that goes in those rooms. I dont understand what else do you need?

Yanu, I do not included myself in the following statement, but it is a statement you should read and take on board....

Many of the people you are dealing with on this forum are very clever experts, if you word things properly, show some understanding of what you are asking about, be polite and take it on the chin and admit you are out of your depth then you might get a bit more out of being a member.

Sym

Sorry for the misunderstandings but english is not my mother tongue, I'm not irish but live here.

Ok, that explains the confusion I'm having over your posts.
So you are just doing the power for the 5 'rooms' without fridges then?

If you are waiting for someone to tell you exactly how to do it then I would say...

you will be waiting a long time mate. We are not allowed to give out full design work or step-by-step instructions.

Again, why 20A on the sockets when the boss says use full load?

But I gave you the info though. You know how many lights, sockets and everything that goes in those rooms. I dont understand what else do you need?

If you have this info mate then you should be able to design the circuit accordingly. You will pick the routes, installation method, protection device ratings and other things.
I agree with your idea about doing one circuit per 'room' for the sockets and one circuit per 'room' for the lights.
You know the full design.

I have never said we dont have drawings guys. The guy in our office did them based on the client information. I know exactly how many sockets, where they go and how many lights in each room.

How about posting up the drawings/info so we have more of an idea.

I don't thing they do, sounds like they will be powered up in Scotland but the info is so sketchy.

I don't thing they do, sounds like they will be powered up in Scotland but the info is so sketchy.
Indeed. That's why I was trying to ascertain earlier whether this was an ET101 or BS7671 installation, to which I was told "probably ET101".

The reference to a switch fuse on the DB also suggested an ET101 installation, although more likely a 3rd Edition (which was withdrawn in 2008) one rather than 4th Edition!

The rooms with fridges comes with an electrical panel. Each panel has a 32amp isolator. These are fine, I'm not worrying about them, everything is wired back to those panels.

The rooms without the fridge are the issue.

The lights are 63 w leds
hand driers 1500 w each
air conditioning units needs a 20 amp breaker each (from instructions)

Thanks
i think if you had made the language barrier clear earlier you wouldnt have recieved sarcastic replies

a polish guy i know calls plasterboard, taps, baths, cladding sheets, timber all comes under the word "elements"

the first time i spoke with him he was pointing at the wall and telling me about black elements, so i assumed towel rail, he was actually meaning a sheet of black aqua-panel

are these site cabins you are wiring? or offshore container type cabins?

I did try and help...... I'm a good boy...

I did try and help...... I'm a good boy...

yNlQWRM.jpg

Reply to Choosing a power supply, switch fuse size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net