Discuss EICRs and LANDLORDS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EICRs are useful if they they are used as their intended purpose, which is to indicate that an installation is safe for continued use.
However I believe that many are produced simply as something to provide to Insurance companies ano Local Authorities.

I believe that while the 2391 was useful for practising Inspectors to prove their competence, we have been left with the situation where many people hold the qualification, yet have absolutely no experience in I&T whatsoever.

I also have concerns, that a supposedly respected body such as the NICEIC can produce such a thing as a Visual Report, let alone the fact that Local Authorities are willing to accept such (simply because it has NICEIC printed on it).

At present there is no requirement for Landlords to have EICRs conducted on their properties.
Landlords are responsible for the electrical safety of their properties, they cannot hide behind dodgey EICRs.

of course councils will only accept eicr's etc from a scam member.

can you imagine the amount of paperwork involved in checking someone is competent.

the reason they want someone in a scheme is any tom dick or harry can do an eicr.

a decent electrician will tell you when the installation starts to degrade and to keep an eye on it.

the installation can start to degrade and still be safe

can you imagine the amount of paperwork involved in checking someone is competent.

the reason they want someone in a scheme is any tom dick or harry can do an eicr.

a decent electrician will tell you when the installation starts to degrade and to keep an eye on it.

Problem is, that Part P does not cover I&T, so being a scam member means nothing.
Yes the scams are now jumping upon the bandwagon and allowing their members to register for conducting I&T.
However if I was presented with a Visual Report rather than an EICR, I would refuse it.
The fact that LABCs are willing to accept what to my mind are worthless pieces of paper rather than a Report detailing inspections and tests conducted is rather worrying.

Problem is, that Part P does not cover I&T, so being a scam member means nothing.
Yes the scams are now jumping upon the bandwagon and allowing their members to register for conducting I&T.
However if I was presented with a Visual Report rather than an EICR, I would refuse it.
The fact that LABCs are willing to accept what to my mind are worthless pieces of paper rather than a Report detailing inspections and tests conducted is rather worrying.
not really because it means they have someone to fine and imprison when the muck hits the fan, its all about passing blame.

@ Merv

no.jpeg

Your wrong, simple as that. Electrical safety for "People, Livestock & Property" is paramount to any Electrician worth their worth in gold.

Please bullet point and explain why an EICR is a money spinner for "TRUE" Electricians and their customers that let out properties to their customers?

Really looking forward to your reply. (but please dont talk nonsense like the last 5 pages of this thread. Just get to the point).

But it does not stop any Tom, Dick or Harry working for the scheme member doing an EICR that's why an individual electrician licencing system would IMO be a good move and may be it would restore a bit of industry credibility

I would rather people were safe than there being someone to blame.

So would I but these days there always has to be a scapegoat to satisfy the blame culture that we have

@ Merv

View attachment 30116

Your wrong, simple as that. Electrical safety for "People, Livestock & Property" is paramount to any Electrician worth their worth in gold.

Please bullet point and explain why an EICR is a money spinner for "TRUE" Electricians and their customers that let out properties to their customers?

Really looking forward to your reply. (but please dont talk nonsense like the last 5 pages of this thread. Just get to the point).

Well said, I think he's broken his drum though he hasn't posted for a good few hours

In reply to darkwood.
I do write my stuff elsewhere and paste it into the replybox, because if I write it directly into the reply box half the letters I typedon't appear for some reason, and it takes ages having to type over them again.

In reply to darkwood.
I do write my stuff elsewhere and paste it into the replybox, because if I write it directly into the reply box half the letters I typedon't appear for some reason, and it takes ages having to type over them again.
Mine does the same. Try clicking the A/A icon button on the left of the icon bar - this should cure it. Daz

In reply to darkwood.
This is why you script comes out with missing spaces etc, its coded with a similar software but not identical so when you copy and paste little bits are lost in translation leading to small errors appearing.

As for your other issues if you can express what hardware (laptop, phone etc), what OS and what browser you are using it may be worth admin looking into, as far as I'm aware you are the only one to report this issue about words not appearing and having to type again, your initial copy and paste may alter the font, colour etc settings possibly making the words white if you paste from a page where the background is dark this affect may have locked in as default, Ill have a word with admin' as its not my field and I could have just been talking gobbledygook.

Last edited:
He comes on here and rubs us the wrong way. I get my knuckles wrapped as a bad boy and he sds off. Great.

it has been spotted mate hence Pauls post and if it continues I will be giving him an holiday, trolling won't be tolerated full stop.

I seem to have caused some offence to a few on here judging by their personal comments towards me. I shan't waste my time answering them.

That is not the way to debate issues.

It also appears that my point about mandatory EICRs has been spectacularly missed by more than one, and they think I have something against safety and EICRs.
This is not my view at all.

I see EICRs as insurance against certain litigation where landlords are concerned.

Sensible landlords already ensure they have one for every property they let.
They're cheap enough anyway if you know where to get them from.

What I'm against is forcing landlords to jump through hoops and criminalizing those who get caught out by the red tape and petty rules that invariably go with any legislation that requires action to avoid prosecution.

Part P was a Godsend to the electrical trade in general with the extra work it has created, and for trivial gains in safety. If any at all in most cases.
That's why this government has watered down some of the legislation concerning Part P. and are soft on enforcement.
Notifying work done and logging it all down at the council offices for God's sake - how ridiculous can you get in wasting time and money?
Yet it still exits

I see compulsory EICRs in the same vein as writing Part P.into law.
And the shouts for enforcement of it, as simple greed from the vested interest who would profit from the legislation as they have done from the introduction of Part P. as it stands.

By the way, you're not dealing with John Prescott in government now.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Merv

View attachment 30116

Paul,
Sorry for the delay in answering.

A money-spinner is a source of profit.

So unless EICRs are handed out free, or charged at cost only by those you term as ''TRUE'' Electricians,'' then I think the term money-spinner is appropriate for EICRs.
What more can there be to explain?

Reply to EICRs and LANDLORDS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net