Discuss Good Luck Mr Damian Skelton (D.Skelton Electrical) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Does Emma Clancy know what a spark actually does?
Of course she does, sparks work hard and pay their fees so she can have a cushey well paid job that entails going to The Seychelles on fact finding missions for British consumers every now and then.

Well done Mr Skelton by the way :)

I just watched thr 2nd part.
Was really surprised at the ECA guy not kicking ---.
The end guy next to E.C. said at one point that someone with a level 3 qualification and some experience is competent work on their own. The JIB (National Working Rules) states that an electrician cannot work on his own (after a 4 year apprenticeship). Working on your own comes with your approved status later on, after another 2 years of experience. This has always been the rules since the sixties/seventies.
Clearly the others are protecting their golden goose but to be fair the MPs were not stupid and I think saw through it. One of them even walked out!
All the way through, when they were asked about competent, qualified, etc I (prob MPs too) was thinking, just say apprentice trained mate, job done.

Boydy

Not quite sure what that talking shop has gained

Some good ideas put forward by the first group of contributors whether they will be acted on remains to be seen with comments made towards the close of the meeting

The second group were in self justification, preservation and balance sheet protection mode stumbling over figures and desperately trying to cover up what is more likely the actual truth

Left wondering at the end what if any gain has been made and if the first group were asked to attend to give the impression that all interested parties evidence was being heard the second group are really the people who should have been doing the listening as well as the MP's as they indicated at the end they intend to present some sort of unified solution for a single identity multi scheme assessment system that will be rubber stamped by a minister and the merry go round will carry on as before this seemed to get a tentative agreement from the MP's this can only be another step into a bigger mire in this industry

The video really is a good example of how government committees aren't working would have liked to have seen the first group have the chance to respond to what the schemes presented or evidence taken in a different order

The video really is a good example of how government committees aren't working would have liked to have seen the first group have the chance to respond to what the schemes presented or evidence taken in a different order

One definitely got the impression that this parliamentary committee was just going through the motions, rather than really listening and understanding the real problems and issues within our industry. If these politicians go down the road of trying to appease both sides, then it's been a waste of time.

All these buggers need to do, is look at what's happening in the other Western European countries, or even to our Commonwealth countries to see how things should be done!! Can't be anything easier than to adopt a system that has been tried and tested and best of all, ...WORKS!! That goes for both recognised minimum training standards and a National Registration system with teeth. None of which are run by private profit based companies!!!

We'll just wait and see what actually transpires??

If they (MPs) were just going through the motions Eng., what happens if in the near future if some poor sod gets hurt or killed by an unqualified (but competent, ha) scam member now that the trade (first panel) has raised concerns.
The MPs duty of care, to the public, would be crushing after this recorded debate. Therefor they have to do something.

Boydy

I still think theres room for a new single scheme for the Sparky, run by sparkies, for sparkies and not for profit.

£125.00 per year, per sole trader and a sliding scale upwards for larger businesses. Annual checks for the "trusted" would be scrapped and instead the inspectors would follow up on rogue workmanship and do random inspections of notified work.

Utopia!

If they (MPs) what happens if in the near future if some poor sod gets hurt or killed by an unqualified (but competent, ha) scam member now that the trade (first panel) has raised concerns.

Boydy

I would imagine he would get treated exactly the same as the qualified spark in this case, who in my opinion will get the book thrown at him much more than the unqualified spark.
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/43/unlawful-killing.cfm?

If they (MPs) were just going through the motions Eng., what happens if in the near future if some poor sod gets hurt or killed by an unqualified (but competent, ha) scam member now that the trade (first panel) has raised concerns.
The MPs duty of care, to the public, would be crushing after this recorded debate. Therefor they have to do something.

Boydy

My meaning being, that as politicians, they will want to please everyone to a certain degree, especially those that are ''employers'' the last thing they want to be held responsible for, is adding to the unemployment!! lol!
Trying to appease both sides is what i'm expecting, but i hope i'm wrong!!

Unfortunately decisive government in the UK is a thing of the past....

7 Years to get to this stage of affairs!!!!! That question to the NICEIC will no doubt end up in file 13, as they can't answer it without showing themselves up for what they are!!

The MPs are savvy enough to see that it is the system that killed Emma Shaw. How much of a part in that system the electricians currently in court played is up to the court to decide.

congratulations Mr Skelton for representing all electricians regarding Part P

I feel your points were valid and well put
the majority of the first witness eveidence/statements was valid including regarding enforcement apart from the doctors who kept repeating himself regarding Labc , building inspectors and mainly talking about drains and footings lol

One License for electricans whether via the JIB or whoever , one register, one set of quals is the only way forward as in my experience the old apprenticeships were far superior than the different routes we have now as I have done all 3

The woman from certsure seemed only interested in making themselves look like they were the only ones trying to sort this mess when in reality its them who is causing the whole sorry mess considering certsure is a recent venture what does she know apart from ensuring they and the schemes thrive in a commercial sense
the Guy behind who was one of your fellows giving evidence first was shaking his head the whole time she was speaking and trying best not to laugh or blurt some kind of response to her
she was making out that for larger enterprises they would have more than 1 QS and she would provide evidence of the numbers they would be allowed to supervise were in reality they dont and the QS doesnt always Inspect and test all the work carried out by others.
Part p was bad to start with but all the recent changes have weakened it so anyone can carry out the majority of work without notification and most will do without I&T or certification DIYers, rogue builders, kitchen fitters , plumbers etc etc
The commitee didnt really understand what a competent person is , who should be doing the work, what qualificatiosn they should have. Think they were mixing yup qualifications, competence , and status i,e QS, Electrician, trainee etc etc
I just hope it doesnt result in more Qualifications and costs for electricians we need less costs and less C&G new qualifications along with the EAL ones

They need to seperate the building requirments away from whats required regarding competence , assessed enterprises, qualified unregistered electricians and whats required to be a registered fully qualified Electrician once your qualified you should know whats required to meet Building regs, Electricity regs, EAWR and H&S and not be paying a large sum of money each year to keep proving your competence
They wont like a version of gas safety as there pockets wont be as deep if your only assessed every five years

Anyway good on ya for standing up for electricians

I feel in the short time you had you managed on whole to get most electricians veiws across

It's worth noting in another case that the landlady had attempted to get an EICR done but due to pressure of work the electrician had been unable to do it before the tenant moved in. The deceased's husband had commented that a gas certificate was mandatory but no such legislation exists for electrics.
Just proof again of how our legislators are not keeping up with the times. The landlady received a fine in this case.
Young mother electrocuted by live tap as she ran a bath in her family's new home | Mail Online

Reply to Good Luck Mr Damian Skelton (D.Skelton Electrical) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net