Discuss Good Luck Mr Damian Skelton (D.Skelton Electrical) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the outcome of this is fairly predicable the HOC seemed woefully uninformed and at a loss as to what was being put forward by the electrical contractors present, it will inevitably result in them taking a couple of years on (expenses) to suggest throwing more regulations at it rather than starting from scratch with consultation from those directly involved in the front line of the electrical industry and without interferance from those with a vested commercial interest (you know who I mean)
Pict

Been away for a while just watched the first part of the select committee, I'll watch the rest when I've written this.
I must say a big Thank you to Mr Skelton for putting forward the views that most fully qualified Electricians hold, It takes guts to get up there in front of a select committee, it just hope that we get some action on this.
I know I've only been on the forum a short time but I've been in the trade for OMG over 40 years eeek!.
looking forward to seeing the second half,should be interesting and possibly amusing.

Cheers mate, appreciate your support.

What's your firm by the way? You on your own or working for someone else?

Always nice to bump into sparks singing from the same hymn sheet when I'm at the wholesale counter, unfortunately there ain't many of us round these parts! We're flooded with 5WWs down 'ere!

PM if you want :)

Well today's release if the report was worthy of BBC news!

y4uhy4u6.jpg
6ynetuba.jpg

well nvq level 3 from 2015 for DIs then lol, that will put the cat amoungst the pigeons.

And hopefully none of this "Grandfather rights" malrky! You aint got L3 then you cant do it ....... light touch paper, stand back and watch the fall-out!! :dead:

Think you might find ones that old fall under 'Grandfather rights' .... you aint be taught to the new correct standards! And I bet you aint even got a 2395/2396 (or whatever the numbers are). Electrickery has moved on since you were making brews, and cleaning tools with an oily rag :smile:

I think you will find my qualifications are more than adequate to work in a domestic enviroment lol, not that I really want to haha, it is well known by everyone that count in this industry the 236 parts 1 and 2 plus am1 and am2 far outweigh the drivel they teach today

...... it is well known by everyone that count in this industry the 236 parts 1 and 2 plus am1 and am2 far outweigh the drivel they teach today

They've all popped their clogs! There is a new, younger breed in the know now and the new teachers always perform better than the old teachers and the new students always get better marks. That stuff you are on about is so yesterday, get with the times, stop with that fuse wire and start fitting RCD's!

I recomend a quick Electrical Trainee course followed by a couple of years at college to refresh yourself on modern electrickery. You'll get there in the end pops, just stick with the program ........ :smile:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much chaps. The spirit of the report is heading in the right direction for sure by publicly declaring that 5WWs are incompetent but just read a little closer. The committee, through their general lack of knowledge have only specified NVQ level three, not an actual qualification or equivalent. Remember the scams are peddling the C&G 2397 which is a 5 week domestic installer NVQ level 3!!!

Hopefully when the government answer the report they will pick up on this technicality, but I wouldn't be rubbing your hands with glee too soon!

BBC News - Toughen up on 'incompetent' electricians, say MPs

Gareth Bale was playing football for Wales last night, it was joy to watch the brilliance of the man,so said the BBC news

Meanwhile much further down the list (rightly)was the MPs getting their knickers in a twist about part P
What they found was an insight into the reality of their own legislation that has been known to electricians since day one

With this 8 year "sudden" insight into the folly that is Part P,they have recommended what has been accepted as normal industry practice by sparks for all that time

They will of course do one of two things

1 They will have good intention over a long period of time and still make a hash of it all

2 They will seek to have implemented, all their recommendations,then find "Lip service" will have been paid to their enquiry,however the novelty of the subject will have waned and more pressing subjects will take their attention

There will of course be some change,however that change will be moulded by and to suit those with advantage and influence in the industry ie the schemes and the indifferent Local authorities

If they are truly interested in electrical standards,if anything ever had a miniscule chance of enforcement and success,it is Test, inspection and certification of Home sales and rental properties
The man doing the work can be assessed and the process made accountable

I say get rid of all domestic installation regulation,they don't have a cats in hells chance of ever having a suitable system

You cannot and will not ever stop Diy electrics and consequently govern tradesmen in that climate

I think you will find my qualifications are more than adequate to work in a domestic enviroment lol, not that I really want to haha, it is well known by everyone that count in this industry the 236 parts 1 and 2 plus am1 and am2 far outweigh the drivel they teach today

this is what i've done but was amazed at the simplicity of what my apprentice had to do in his nvq to become "qualified"

Reply to Good Luck Mr Damian Skelton (D.Skelton Electrical) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net