Discuss Is this within regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

She refused to let me do it because I wasn't qualified

Mam knows best Trev

Your time will come young trev,she said in a very commanding tone, using a North Eastern language that is both strange and puzzling

"but not here not just yet young lad", "Now go and boil that kettle ready for a proper tradesman ,thats a good lad"

The translation into English does not do the sentence justice,but you get the drift I hope

He's having you on anyway , I've never known a Geordie wi a chandelier.

It's where they got the sketch from for "Only fools and horses". Guess who trev was :)

Thanks
Ah, its all as clear as broken glass now

His mam wrote the script after he was a naughty boy and spread his wings

Trev,whatever was in that reply you made,thats what I wrote
it sort of got distorted and lost in my translation

Obviously ime new round here myself but this is the way I see it.

Most people really learn when they are chucked in the deep end, Much the same as driving you learn once you are in the driving seat on your own.
When I was a apprentice the first time I made off a SWA was a 1.5mm 3 core made off into a metal box and that was the only one I ever made off at college, Every other armored I have ever made off was at work so I became better at it.
I remember struggling my balls off the first few not cutting the armoring properly and attacking it with side cutters (Ahhh the joys of youth eh?)
But I learnt from my mistakes and now think nothing of it, Even chuckle watching my apprentice do the same things I did as my mentor laughed at me.

Engineers learn from doing and from making mistakes, The engineer who has never cocked up has never done anything so fair play to the OP for opening himself up.

He has learnt from his mistake and rectified it, What more could you want?

But how can the guy ever get experience if he doesn't try?
I think you've been a bit harsh, ideally he would have got experience from his journeyman but we don't know his background, maybe he had a poor apprenticeship(if he did one that is).

I guess I'm one of the people who's being a bit harsh?

To be perfectly honest if I went to a property and saw him doing that I would have torn a strip off of him, I'm only being gentle on here cos of forum rules.

The way to get experience is not by having a go unsupervised. Should a trainee gas engineer just strike out and have a go unsupervised?
How would you like it if the person you paid to repair the brakes on your car was just spreading his wings and getting some experience on his own?

Don't forget electricity kills people!

I guess I'm one of the people who's being a bit harsh?

To be perfectly honest if I went to a property and saw him doing that I would have torn a strip off of him, I'm only being gentle on here cos of forum rules.

The way to get experience is not by having a go unsupervised. Should a trainee gas engineer just strike out and have a go unsupervised?
How would you like it if the person you paid to repair the brakes on your car was just spreading his wings and getting some experience on his own?

Don't forget electricity kills people!

Fair comment!
The point I was making was that he may well be qualified, maybe just lacking in experience. I was let loose on the public as a 4th year apprentice, I didn't know it all, still don't!

Reply to Is this within regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net