Discuss Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's all a load of cobblers,we all saw that garbage done by a so called "professional registered electrician" posted on here the other week! Now I was with Glenn when he tackled the NI guy about it at Elex and he just got nowhere.Now Glenn does go at things like a bull at a gate,I know he won't mind me saying that so I tried being as I can be very diplomatic when I want and all I got was a load of rubbish about how they'd only act if the customer complains and refusing to answer questions due to the data protection act!Which incidentally doesn't apply to what I was asking.It's a load of rubbish, nothing has been thought through properly and the whole thing is just a way of separating electricians from their hard earned cash.Incidentally from August the 1st 2014 it will be an offence for any electrician to carry out any work without being registered with me under the new INMC ruling all members must be deemed competent and have appropriate test gear (neon screwdriver and voltstick) send your cheques now guys and beat the rush.
What do you think guys,could I be onto a nice little earner here?lol

INMC=i need more cash

Incidentally from August the 1st 2014 it will be an offence for any electrician to carry out any work without being registered with me under the new INMC ruling all members must be deemed competent and have appropriate test gear (neon screwdriver and voltstick) send your cheques now guys and beat the rush.

Can you advise of the address to send my cheque to, and will I get a nice sticker to put on my vehicle?

who wants to join my new scam? Northern Independent Competent Electrical Installation Contractors. (NICEIC for short). Please make cheques payable to Campaign Against Segregated Horsesh!t ( CASH for short)

Gavin you just talked a hell of a lot of sense. A lot of that is exactly what I want to see but (and it's a huge but) the scams will not allow that to happen because it's killing the goose that lays the golden egg/ the gift that just keeps giving.
That's why I and many others want to see them out of the equation because all they're interested in is their salary and pension schemes. They don't give a flying fig about what they are supposed to do and claim to be doing. Driving up standards.
I'll respond point by point in the morning because just now I've had a few and I'm watching Biffy Clyro from T in the Park (fantastic btw) and I'd probably struggle to be coherent

A Geordie struggling to be coherent???

That'll be a first!! :)

there is a difference between coherent and gobby.

staffie?

download (1).jpg

MDJ,

You are bang on. I was with ELECSA until last March (2013), when my renewal came up I wasn't doing a lot of domestic jobs, they kept calling me for payment and to organise an assessment date. I told them to look at my history of notifications, and there weren't many over the 2 previous years, and since I refused to renew my membership, I have done dozens of jobs where Building Control (Gloucester, Cheltenham and Cotswolds) have been involved with the building works, and not once has one of the many inspectors asked am I Part P registered! They have all said the same - as long as the work is done to 17th standards and cables are run in safe zones etc (which they can normally see as they appear at different stages of building work) then complete an EIC and they are happy. In fact, as long as there is an extractor fan in every bathroom and plenty of smoke alarms they seem to be happy!

The scams are just that - a scam. I haven't had a customer ask me if I am Part P registered since 2011, when that customer happened to work in local government.

Crack on and get the jobs done safely, quickly and to a good standard to keep up your good reputation!!!

Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electrician having done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEIC domestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house for the inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and is wired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes with brass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it all in stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceic want a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine and tumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. The bathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan to come from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom in trunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the taps are. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need a screwdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straight from the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix a wire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could not understand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers and cookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flow faster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?

Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electrician having done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEIC domestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house for the inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and is wired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes with brass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it all in stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceic want a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine and tumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. The bathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan to come from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom in trunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the taps are. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need a screwdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straight from the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix a wire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could not understand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers and cookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flow faster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?
Ah so you own a white card with "ELECTRIC" written on it as well then?

Pheeewwww. Just read this thread from being to end, not word for word mind, I need a beer or GT. Interesting, see both sides. It's been a bit quiet on here for a few days, so I thought I would stir things up again. Quoting; employ an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers; or tell (‘notify’) your local-authority building-control about the installation work before work begins.
From April 2014 you will also be able to employ a non-registered electrical installer who has appointed a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.

Out of interest, those of us not enrolled in a scam, sorry scheme, what happens when you tell your customer to notify the LABC? My LABC wants £400 for the privilege, not that I have any evidence they have charged that (but me the customer ain't gonna pay it). So what about third party inspection; you get stuffed I pay £500 a year to be a GASP registered electrician. Or just say nothing, easy option till it goes wrong, you'll be gripping the bars alone answering questions to some Michael Mansfield QC cos you PL insurance is null & void (dam insurance companies always try wriggle out of their responsibilities). So we are stuffed then really, or you just do commercial instead? By the way, it was a G&T, but I am just a big southern softy.

Nowt wrong with a G&T mate, I have them in my more civilised moments.
There is the option of doing it in such a way that it's not going to go wrong, ie the right and proper way. That way the only way you can conceivably be in a court is for none notification.

Spot on that is tel. Crack on!

Reply to Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net