Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss 2 conductors in the same Wago connector hole in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Daniel Howard

Daniel Howard New EF Member

I've just watched a video on youtube about installing a bathroom extractor fan off of the light switch.

In it the guy says how much easier this is when you use Wago connector blocks rather than a ceiling rose (about 7 and a half minutes in). He's using Wago 3-way lever connector 222 blocks, but of course 3 of the blocks need 4 connections, so he's shoved 2 conductors into the same hole.

Is this safe / ok? I guess 5-way connectors wouldn't fit in the box, and (as far as I can tell) they don't sell 4-way connectors.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

why didn't he use the Wago 2273-204 Compact Transparent
    4 Pole Push Wire Connector - Red Cover - 0.5mm² - 2.5mm² Solid?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

I certainly would never do that. It doesn't take many brain cells to imagine that there is a high chance of a poor quality connection doing this, especially with solid core conductors as the dipstick in the video has done.

On a side note, anybody using wire strippers isn't a proper sparks :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

This individual may claim to be many things. One thing for certain is that he is not a skilled electrician.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Moaz

Moaz Active EF Member

Definitely agree with this. If it's got two slots, it's meant for two conductors. Although he makes it look as if it's got a good connection. I don't think it really is.

6. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I've often wonder myself, as I couldn't find any info on that subject on the WAGO site. I have experimented, putting two conductors into the same connection, tugging one or either conductor, can result in one coming loose from the terminal. I guess any slight discrepancy in the same conductor size can prevent a secure clamp of said conductor.

Much better to use the one conductor into single clamp connection, and use a Wago XL box to accommodate the larger clamp connectors.
    Of course you wouldn't think of twisting two conductors together and use one clamp connection, would you :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. scootknew

scootknew Active EF Member

put the conductors up his bum hole

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Midwest

I doubt if that would be classed as maintenance free?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Daniel Howard

Daniel Howard New EF Member

Thanks for the responses - I thought it was probably not a good idea trying to fit 2 into the same slot.

So you're going to need 3 x 4-way connector and 1 x 3-way connector, which will take up quite a bit of space. What kind of box would accommodate all of that?

10. Midwest

On a side note, anybody using tin snips to cut a cable, is committing a professional faux pas :confused:

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

maybe use a spark?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    If it's all solid core, use the standard push fit connections and a standard Wagobox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Midwest

Friggin said it already, Wago XL.

14. Midwest

Ehh up, you could be right ;)

15. Midwest

Are you an Electrician Daniel?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1