Discuss Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry, just saw this post and would have offered a free visit to assess. Bloody awful work.
Interested to hear what JK says!

As I said, I figured I'd tag a few of you in but could only remember JK and couldn't search on location, so sorry about that.

^^^ Part P for Scotland - like thats going to help .................. not:)

I'm not sure that we'll be going down the Part P route. From what I've heard, the plan is for SELECT and NICEIC to maintain a register of all personnel carrying-out electrical installation work in Scotland. To be included on the register, the applicant will need to have up to date qualifications. Anyone who is not on the register commits a criminal offence if they even advertise as an electrician never mind actually undertake electrical work. But for this approach to work, the Scottish Government will have to first give Scottish electricians protection of title. This very day may well turn-out to be the day that this plan starts to become a reality. A debate commences at 12:45 this afternoon in the Scottish Parliament. I will be there. Hopefully I'll be watching history in the making! We'll see.

I attended the property this afternoon and carried-out a Visual Condition Report. I've uploaded the redacted document for your perusal. I also carried-out a Ze test (fine), RCD trip times (fine) and Zs tests on all the sockets (not fine). I also did end-to-end tests on two RFCs. The house ring was fine, but there is an issue with the kitchen ring. Someone (Kevin the kitchen-fitter, no doubt) has made alterations which have resulted in a complete loss of continuity of both CPCs at one of the kitchen sockets. Zero volts between live and both CPCs. So, whoever did the board changeovers either knew about this fault and simply ignored it, or, as is much more probable, didn't do any testing prior to installing the new boards. All the issues that I found are detailed in the VCR. I look forward to reading your comments!

Now for the moment that you've all been waiting for ...... the photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The customer informed me that it was a wetpants who did all of this. I've yet to decide a definite plan of action to rectify this lash-up, but I'm inclined towards ripping the lot out and starting again from scratch using a Hager unit instead as I absolutely hate BG boards. I think that the Axiom 3-way garage unit that is being used to supply three off-peak storage heaters should be replaced by a better-quality unit with 100 amp main switch and RCBOs. I propose to relocate this board further to the left so that I can utilise the adaptable box that is being obscured. I could then take all those bad joints inside the box and crimp them or use Wagos. Your thoughts please guys and gals.

As we all had already anticipated, the customer did not receive an EIC.

Attachments

• VCR - CU Disaster.pdf
    33.8 KB · Views: 73
I attended the property this afternoon and carried-out a Visual Condition Report. I've uploaded the redacted document for your perusal. I also carried-out a Ze test (fine), RCD trip times (fine) and Zs tests on all the sockets (not fine). I also did end-to-end tests on two RFCs. The house ring was fine, but there is an issue with the kitchen ring. Someone (Kevin the kitchen-fitter, no doubt) has made alterations which have resulted in a complete loss of continuity of both CPCs at one of the kitchen sockets. Zero volts between live and both CPCs. So, whoever did the board changeovers either knew about this fault and simply ignored it, or, as is much more probable, didn't do any testing prior to installing the new boards. All the issues that I found are detailed in the VCR. I look forward to reading your comments!

Now for the moment that you've all been waiting for ...... the photos:

View attachment 45196

View attachment 45197

View attachment 45198

View attachment 45199

View attachment 45200

View attachment 45201

The customer informed me that it was a wetpants who did all of this. I've yet to decide a definite plan of action to rectify this lash-up, but I'm inclined towards ripping the lot out and starting again from scratch using a Hager unit instead as I absolutely hate BG boards. I think that the Axiom 3-way garage unit that is being used to supply three off-peak storage heaters should be replaced by a better-quality unit with 100 amp main switch and RCBOs. I propose to relocate this board further to the left so that I can utilise the adaptable box that is being obscured. I could then take all those bad joints inside the box and crimp them or use Wagos. Your thoughts please guys and gals.

As we all had already anticipated, the customer did not receive an EIC.

A very sensible and thorough use of a visual inspection form - the customer could almost copy and paste as his justification not to pay, or to pay a hugely reduced sum for the "work" undertaken.

Trading standards should be informed too IMHO

Good man.

Nice work! Hope the customer is satisfied.
Although comment would be you're only supposed to code non compliances that affect the safety of the installation, so lack of labelling could only be an observation could it?. Also no CPC continuity would not need further investigation in order to classify it, although investigation would be needed to repair. Should just be coded straight away.

Last edited:
Nice work! Hope the customer is satisfied.
Although comment would be you're only supposed to code non compliances that affect the safety of the installation, so lack of labelling could only be an observation could it?. Also no CPC continuity would not need further investigation in order to classify it, although investigation would be needed to repair. Should just be coded straight away.

Lack of labeling is normally.a C3, but I have seen it as a C2 - Lord knows why ...

AHH well... That was a great read!! I hadn't realised there was such a difference in regulation and legislation north of the border, but the results are clear to see in the report and pictures.

Was the customer angry or amused as you went through all issues? I know no self respecting Glaswegian likes to learn they've had their pants pulled down so I can probably guess...

As I said, I figured I'd tag a few of you in but could only remember JK and couldn't search on location, so sorry about that.

Polo1 has sent me a PM kindly offering to help-out on this job. I will most likely accept the offer. I'm sure the pair of us could turn this abomination into an electrical work-of-art. :D I'm always open to working with other local electricians whenever the need may arise.

Reply to Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net