Discuss Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suspect he may have been polishing something else while he was doing that!

Aye ..... there can be no doubt that only a complete and utter polisher would produce such terrible workmanship. But this is what happens when a wetpants is let loose on an electrical installation.

A very sensible and thorough use of a visual inspection form - the customer could almost copy and paste as his justification not to pay, or to pay a hugely reduced sum for the "work" undertaken.

That was precisely my intention. ;)
Trading standards should be informed too IMHO

I concur.
Good man.

Thank you kind sir. :D

Nice work! Hope the customer is satisfied.

Thank you John. The customer was happy with my thoroughness and surprised that I didn't charge more for the VCR. I'm happy that they're happy.
Although comment would be you're only supposed to code non compliances that affect the safety of the installation, so lack of labelling could only be an observation could it?.

You're correct. The C3 code has now been removed and marked as N/A. Force of habit from doing lots of EICRs.:D
Also no CPC continuity would not need further investigation in order to classify it, although investigation would be needed to repair. Should just be coded straight away.

You're correct again. The item has now been amended and given a C2 code. But as you say, further investigation will be required nevertheless.

AHH well... That was a great read!! I hadn't realised there was such a difference in regulation and legislation north of the border, but the results are clear to see in the report and pictures.

I'm pleased that you guys down south are becoming aware of how bad things are up here in Scotland. The system in its present form actually encourages unqualified personnel to carry-out electrical installation work with impunity and without penalty. Some wetpants have are now doing consumer unit changeovers and EICRs as well as electric shower installations. I despair.
Was the customer angry or amused as you went through all issues? I know no self respecting Glaswegian likes to learn they've had their pants pulled down so I can probably guess...

They certainly weren't amused, that's for sure!

I'm pleased that you guys down south are becoming aware of how bad things are up here in Scotland. The system in its present form actually encourages unqualified personnel to carry-out electrical installation work with impunity and without penalty. Some wetpants have are now doing consumer unit changeovers and EICRs as well as electric shower installations. I despair.

I'm with a couple of sparks now (I design automated systems and they keep my methods in-line..) and they're smirking/despairing at the photos you posted.

I can confirm they had no idea anything would be different in Scotland.

I'm pleased that you guys down south are becoming aware of how bad things are up here in Scotland. The system in its present form actually encourages unqualified personnel to carry-out electrical installation work with impunity and without penalty. Some wetpants have are now doing consumer unit changeovers and EICRs as well as electric shower installations.

It’s not much different down here with every body thinking they are a spark ..... kitchen fitters being the worse, followed by bathrobe fitters .....

You're correct. The C3 code has now been removed and marked as N/A. Force of habit from doing lots of EICRs.:D
To be honest I'm not sure that's why i put it as a question in the end, i was thinking of eicr classification codes. i just don't see why unlabeled circuits significantly reduces the safety of an installation that's all.

To be honest I'm not sure that's why i put it as a question in the end, i was thinking of eicr classification codes. i just don't see why unlabeled circuits significantly reduces the safety of an installation that's all.

My view is, the customer may turn off something and think they've isolated it. We have the luxury of the correct test gear so we can ensure it's dead, most customers don't.

In the event of a fault, faffing around trying to isolate the correct item could be the difference between no fire and a fire. Or... injury vs. death.

You cant polish a TURD fella

In that case I guess I'd better return this to eBay and get a refund. :D

turdpolish.jpg
imgres

Last edited:
Removed from where ?

From the copy of the report that I sent to the OP this afternoon. The VCR that I uploaded to the forum was incomplete insofar that the OPs personal details and address hadn't yet been entered.

So... a few days ago I posted this image of what I imagined could be going on beneath the cover:
DSC00850.jpg

And @JK-Electrical revealed this image of the actual work carried out:
6-jpg.45201

Eerily close!
The number of times I've come across boards like this and advised the customer.. Most don't care
"it works doesn't it?"
"Yep it does for now, give it a while and you'll prob get a free firework display out of it too.."

Top work JK! :)

Also, out of interest, I noted you put a C3 for the off peak board as it has a 63A 30ma RCD as Main Switch which feeds 3 x 16A MCB's supplying heaters. . Install is poor obviously lol, but can't see any issue with the selection of devices. What is it that you feel is not compliant with BS7671 with regard to selection ?

Top work JK! :)

Also, out of interest, I noted you put a C3 for the off peak board as it has a 63A 30ma RCD as Main Switch which feeds 3 x 16A MCB's supplying heaters. . Install is poor obviously lol, but can't see any issue with the selection of devices. What is it that you feel is not compliant with BS7671 with regard to selection ?

Thank you TJ.:)

Had it been me who did the install, I would have opted for a 100 amp main switch and three RCBOs, my reasoning being that should an overnight fault develop on any of the three heaters, or in any of the circuits supplying them, the homeowner doesn't wake-up one cold winter morning to a freezing flat! My decision is based solely on minimising inconvenience hence the 'improvement recommended' coding.

As an aside, I wouldn't have chosen the Axiom brand in the first place, and would have fitted a better-quality brand such as Hager, Wylex or Crabtree rather than this cheap crap from Toolstation. Given the amount that the customer was charged for this job, there can be no excuse for not fitting RCBOs.

Last edited:
Did he replace both boards ie the little one at the bottom and the big one at tge top?
Yes both boards were replaced plus electric shower was also replaced in the bathroom.what i find strange is that the tails were hanging out of the gromits and one of the neutrals was exposed when they had been clearly hidden in the first place also the customer had already said that they had a previous electrician who done shawdy work as they put it and hadnt paid them!!why hadnt they contacted them to tell them about this but instead went onto a forum and tried to slate them !!!

Reply to Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net