Discuss Ive broken the front cover to the consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofts

HI guys

Ive accidently broken the consumer unit in the empty property im working in at the moment. I took the cover off of the Memra 2000 Ad board having isolated all the breakers, rcd's and main switch then I took the main fuse out (yes Ive taken the main fuse out before with out doing so and it was just a little bit scary with all the sparks and crackling noises)

Being a bit heavy handed and just rushing I guess Ive gone and broken the front cover so that it wont screw up tight at all.

I cant say that taping it on would be a good look, and I cant see that being acceptable at all. I also wouldnt want to do that but My dilema is this. I not sure the company has plans to do a board change even tho I have added a new kitchen ring to the old board board. additional sockets on both the up and down stairs RFS's etc. I have adivised that they have a board change to bring it up to current regs (17th eddition board) as I have made alterations and additions that need to comply with BS7671. Ive been told there going to look into it, but if it is allowed I guess they will just try and put the new kitchen ring on a rcbo and the existing up and downstairs rings both with additional sockets added to them on a rcbo as well as this will comply and allow them to keep costs down.

cheers

What can I do if they go for this option as I cant leave this cover like it is, its just waiting to fall of exposing all the live parts etc, also the earth bar inside this cosumer unit is a bit loose imo.

You broke it so change the board!!

Don't put others at risk as you've admitted you were heavy handed.

Sorry to be blunt but you broke it so you replace it.

New CU less than ÂŁ100.

use self tapping screws bigger than the machined thread lugs that you've stripped in the casing to hold the lid on.

self tappers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biff ure so bloody clever lol yes OP try this, if not then dig deep into your own pocket like i said before and foot the bill and let it be a lesson learnt.

I think two ppl are posting on this name, reading back through the threads, the formulation of sentence and grammer changes... you know from a more mature person writing one min to a younster the next. Anyone else noticed.

Back on track bigger screws will get you out of jail (no pun intended) ive seen 6inch decking screws all the way through to plugs in the board to keep the lid on lol...it was effective not pretty tho

self tappers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biff ure so bloody clever lol yes OP try this, if not then dig deep into your own pocket like i said before and foot the bill and let it be a lesson learnt.

whats wrong with my idea ?
i wouldnt be paying for any new cu when 2" screws will fix it.
seems pretty obvious to me :-/

whats wrong with my idea ?
i wouldnt be paying for any new cu when 2" screws will fix it.
seems pretty obvious to me :-/

Nothing, it's a good idea - i just didn't think of it first which annoyed me when it's so simple lol

I was complementing you biff...i think that at the VERY LEAST deserves a like...:yes:

Reply to Ive broken the front cover to the consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net