Discuss Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

obviously the guy doing 80 wrong side of the road on a bend he's taken too fast. KerSplatt.
you have to adjust the example to make it dangerous, no reason to be on the other side of the road just because youre going fast, i can see a problem with the pensioner causing dozens of cars at a time to overtake, getting impatient and overtaking on corners etc.

it's basically now going from 1 extreme to the other. too fast for the conditions is dangerous. doing 20mph when there's no reason not to do 50 is also dangerous. horses for courses. you should always drive at a speed at which you can stop within the distance that you can clearly see. whether tis be 30mph or 70 mph is a matter dependent on the road conditions etc.

you have to adjust the example to make it dangerous, no reason to be on the other side of the road just because youre going fast, i can see a problem with the pensioner causing dozens of cars at a time to overtake, getting impatient and overtaking on corners etc.

So the impatience of the overtaking drivers would be entirely the fault of the driver in front ? No responsibility for their own decisions could be laid with them at all ?

obviously the guy doing 80 wrong side of the road on a bend he's taken too fast. KerSplatt.
it's basically now going from 1 extreme to the other. too fast for the conditions is dangerous. doing 20mph when there's no reason not to do 50 is also dangerous. horses for courses. you should always drive at a speed at which you can stop within the distance that you can clearly see. whether tis be 30mph or 70 mph is a matter dependent on the road conditions etc.
cars designed to do over 200mph should have special speed limits

a 1litre corsa is not equal to a murcielago, so why treat them as such?

So the impatience of the overtaking drivers would be entirely the fault of the driver in front ? No responsibility for their own decisions could be laid with them at all ?
youre supposed to keep with the flow of traffic, not hold it up so that tailbacks form, where its more likely an accident willl occur

a slow moving vehicle has to pull over and let faster moving vehicles pass when the tailback reaches 11 vehicles, if you have more than 11 vehicles behind you, youre committing an offence.

many a time, i've been tootling along in the van at 40 -50. some imbecile ( usually audi or bmw ) overtakes at speed, then 50 yards later slams on the brakes because the lights are red. i ease off and coast up behind him as the lights change to green, all that effort to get 2 yards in front of me.

youre supposed to keep with the flow of traffic, not hold it up so that tailbacks form, where its more likely an accident willl occur

a slow moving vehicle has to pull over and let faster moving vehicles pass when the tailback reaches 11 vehicles, if you have more than 11 vehicles behind you, youre committing an offence.

Have you got a source to verify the 11 vehicle rule ? What if there are no safe places to pass ? And since when did you become so concerned about others committing road offences seeing as you have advocated speeding multiple times in this thread ?

many a time, i've been tootling along in the van at 40 -50. some imbecile ( usually audi or bmw ) overtakes at speed, then 50 yards later slams on the brakes because the lights are red. i ease off and coast up behind him as the lights change to green, all that effort to get 2 yards in front of me.
which dual carriageway are you driving on that has lights? lights imply pedestrians, which implies dont speed.

bet those bmws and audis leave you for dust when the lights go green :D

Have you got a source to verify the 11 vehicle rule ? What if there are no safe places to pass ? And since when did you become so concerned about others committing road offences seeing as you have advocated speeding multiple times in this thread ?
to be honest, no it was just what ive been told by a long distance driver

speeding isnt that dangerous, cruising along at thalf the speed of all other traffic you share the road with is careless and dangerous driving

hence when you get caught speeding its just a slap on the wrist, coppers catch you going 30 in a 60 and theyre going to question your ability to drive, are your reaction times that slow you need to drive at walking pace, only heroin addicts and pensioners drive at half the speed limit.

driving too slowly or braking without good cause is an offence, coming under the scope of ‘inconsiderate driving’. This is defined as driving a vehicle on a road or in a public place without reasonable consideration for other people. In order to prove that you're guilty of this offence, prosecutors must show that another driver was actually inconvenienced by your driving.

the reason it’s classed an offence is that a car that’s travelling far below the speed of the vehicles around it can create a hazard for other road-users, as it’s unusual and unexpected. At the very least, a dawdling car causes concern as other motorists wonder what other unusual driving behaviour might be exhibited by the driver. HGVs may also be motivated to overtake, which can contribute to congestion as they’re slower than cars.

the driving test should include a dual control car, but one with an accelerator for the assessor, where he brings the learner driver up to 100mph, if they get nervous they fail.

which dual carriageway are you driving on that has lights? lights imply pedestrians, which implies dont speed.

bet those bmws and audis leave you for dust when the lights go green :D
where did i mention a dual carriageway? i was referring to a single carriagway road. and you do have traffic lights on dual carrriagways.

where did i mention a dual carriageway? i was referring to a single carriagway road. and you do have traffic lights on dual carrriagways.
dual carriageways that are in pedestrian areas, the genius of british road systems versus american is we dont need lights at every junction, because the driver is supposed to have a basic comprehension of the "right of way" system in britain

why is it always the piddlers that cut everyone up when they join a roundabout, i guess staying in your own lane when navigating a corner is too much to ask? then they hold traffic up for another few miles before they put their indicator on 500 yards from their turn off and braking from their breakneck speed of 20mph in a 30 and still managing to misjudge their braking distance stopping well before the junction

if you cant drive, dont.

if 80mph is uncomfortable for you then you shouldnt be allowed on roads that arent in a city , if 100mph on a motorway is above your comfort level, you shouldnt be allowed on the motorway

Not sure what type of roads you are talking about for 80mph... The top speed limit is 70 in the uk.
Why all the extremes for you silly excuses for speeding? Just drive safe and to the speed the road/environment allows.
Whoever goes 100mph on the motorway I hope that they get stopped by the police and get their licence taken from them and a hefty fine.

Not sure what type of roads you are talking about for 80mph... The top speed limit is 70 in the uk.
Why all the extremes for you silly excuses for speeding? Just drive safe and to the speed the road/environment allows.
Whoever goes 100mph on the motorway I hope that they get stopped by the police and get their licence taken from them and a hefty fine.
going fast doesnt mean that youre driving unsafe, i was using 80mph as the example of what the limit actually should be on b roads

ive been caught at over 100mph twice, by the same coppers, within a month, on the same road in opposite directions, neither time was i banned.

i dont see why my speed should be restricted because of peasants and people who are hesitant drivers

it only saves the types of idiots who would be downing bleach by the bottle if there werent warnings on the bottle.

going fast doesnt mean that youre driving unsafe, i was using 80mph as the example of what the limit actually should be on b roads

ive been caught at over 100mph twice, by the same coppers, within a month, on the same road in opposite directions, neither time was i banned.

i dont see why my speed should be restricted because of peasants and people who are hesitant drivers

it only saves the types of idiots who would be downing bleach by the bottle if there werent warnings on the bottle.

i guess the police have some magic skill that lets them drive "safely" at 150mph+?

either speeding is dangerous full stop or its not.

Again with the silly extremes mate. Why??

Reply to Learner drivers allowed on motorways after law change in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net