Discuss Hager Metal Consumer Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C1kGDhu0Fso

hager video of the new board. Looks like maxi trunking to keep everything tidy. Im sure they will start selling non combustable trunking too...

I looked at their website and video the other day ... I do not see how any conflagration would be contained by uPVC trunking ... it seems to me to defeat the concept of a non-combustible enclosure. At least, one assumes, it passes the the relevant BS via the 'non-combustible' route. No blobs of melted plastic upon the floor, but the uPVC trunking and insulation may be burning nicely!

I've just watched that video, not much point in me going to get some photos, I think if you actually pick one up and look at it you will be quite impressed.

Two issues I have reading this thread:

1. Why are we talking about absorbing the price hike. We need to pass this on.

2. If the regs say it is required why are some on here saying they will go against it? It is what it is.

Great bit of kit though from Hager. They tend to be quite competitive on price so watch this space. Mind you. They may be taking an early advantage and prices will fall quickly when the competition start releasing their options.

2. If the regs say it is required why are some on here saying they will go against it? It is what it is.

Great bit of kit though from Hager. They tend to be quite competitive on price so watch this space. Mind you. They may be taking an early advantage and prices will fall quickly when the competition start releasing their options.

I dont want to absorb it as such, but would be willing to move a bit on price to get a job as you are basically upping the price by another £100.

I dont want to absorb it as such, but would be willing to move a bit on price to get a job as you are basically upping the price by another £100.

No. The manufacturer is. Once the other manufacturers start releasing theirs the prices will tumble. No rush yet to install these.

1. Because people these days have some sort of natural aversion to charging for what they're worth. Mainly because there are so many people out there who aren't worth jack $h!t so prices remain low.

2. You haven't really been paying attention of late have you? What is required is a board made of non-combustible material. Steel is an example of such a material, nothing more. In fact, if a board complies with BS EN 61439-3 then it is by definition non-combustible. There are numerous plastic boards that comply with this standard.

It does look like a nice bit of kit, I can't argue with that. What I will say though is that it's a complete and utter waste of money considering Hager's current plastic boards also comply with AMD 3.

Buy it and all you do is play in to the hands of the manufacturers who are doing all in their power to perpetuate this myth that new boards 'have' to be steel. Put it this way, come January, unless we as a trade start to wise the f**k up, where the board manufacturers are concerned, all their Christmas's will have come early!

If you are a member of a scheme and they stipulate that 960~ glow wire tested DB's do not meet the requirements of amendment 3 what do you do then? Go on and keep fitting them regardless or fall in to line and fit metal DB's?

1. Because people these days have some sort of natural aversion to charging for what they're worth. Mainly because there are so many people out there who aren't worth jack $h!t so prices remain low.

2. You haven't really been paying attention of late have you? What is required is a board made of non-combustible material. Steel is an example of such a material, nothing more. In fact, if a board complies with BS EN 61439-3 then it is by definition non-combustible. There are numerous plastic boards that comply with this standard.

It does look like a nice bit of kit, I can't argue with that. What I will say though is that it's a complete and utter waste of money considering Hager's current plastic boards also comply with AMD 3.

Buy it and all you do is play in to the hands of the manufacturers who are doing all in their power to perpetuate this myth that new boards 'have' to be steel. Put it this way, come January, unless we as a trade start to wise the f**k up, where the board manufacturers are concerned, all their Christmas's will have come early!

1. Agreed

2. I never mentioned anything about steel or any other material. My point was some seem to just want to fight any change. I really could not care less what the material is as long as it complies next year. BEAMA have said that plastic enclosures meeting the 960 degree glow wire test and built to BS EN 61439-3 will not be classed as non-combustable under the regulation so there is still mixed messages here. No doubt further clarification will be needed.

It's not about fighting change just for the sake of it mate. It#s about fighting stupid change that does no one any good.
Everyone knows that there are a couple of causes of CU fires. The material they're made of is not the issue.

Reply to Hager Metal Consumer Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net