Discuss Hager Metal Consumer Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's not about fighting change just for the sake of it mate. It#s about fighting stupid change that does no one any good.
Everyone knows that there are a couple of causes of CU fires. The material they're made of is not the issue.

Completely agree. But far greater minds than mine have put their heads together and decided it is what needs to be done. So I just get on and do it knowing that if I follow their advice they will have my back. (Hopefully lol)

If you are a member of a scheme and they stipulate that 960~ glow wire tested DB's do not meet the requirements of amendment 3 what do you do then? Go on and keep fitting them regardless or fall in to line and fit metal DB's?

They don't stipulate anything, they are private companies. Who are they to tell me how to interpret clearly written words?!

I work the the regs, that is all that is required of me.

1. Agreed

2. I never mentioned anything about steel or any other material. My point was some seem to just want to fight any change. I really could not care less what the material is as long as it complies next year. BEAMA have said that plastic enclosures meeting the 960 degree glow wire test and built to BS EN 61439-3 will not be classed as non-combustable under the regulation so there is still mixed messages here. No doubt further clarification will be needed.

You're quite right, BEAMA did say that. Is it actually written in the regs though? No, so BEAMAs word amounts to the sum total of diddly squat!

Completely agree. But far greater minds than mine have put their heads together and decided it is what needs to be done. So I just get on and do it knowing that if I follow their advice they will have my back. (Hopefully lol)
Lol! So those far greater minds haven't thought of introducing an amendment to the relevant BS so that 2 terminal screws are required. Nor have they addressed the real issue, loose terminations.
Absolute genius. (not)

Lol! So those far greater minds haven't thought of introducing an amendment to the relevant BS so that 2 terminal screws are required. Nor have they addressed the real issue, loose terminations.
Absolute genius. (not)

I admire your passion. So what are you going to do about it?

I admire your passion. So what are you going to do about it?
I'll continue to fit compliant plastic CUs. NB the mention of steel as a non combustible material is only an example. Nowhere in the regs does it say you must not fit plastic ones.
Unless you know better of course mate.
At the same time, a pressure group could be formed of like minded individuals who object to this stupidity. Once the ball got rolling it could be very hard to stop. As you can tell I believe in people power

I'll continue to fit compliant plastic CUs. NB the mention of steel as a non combustible material is only an example. Nowhere in the regs does it say you must not fit plastic ones.
Unless you know better of course mate.
At the same time, a pressure group could be formed of like minded individuals who object to this stupidity. Once the ball got rolling it could be very hard to stop. As you can tell I believe in people power

So you will install amendment 3 compliant boards. So will I. At no point have I said anything about metal or any other material. As long as it complies. I am happy.

Reply to Hager Metal Consumer Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net