Discuss Hager Metal Consumer Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So you will install amendment 3 compliant boards. So will I. At no point have I said anything about metal or any other material. As long as it complies. I am happy.
You haven't mate, others have though because they're sheep. Maybe you're really a Geordie, how old are you?

You tell ME!! Perfectly acceptable in the rest of Europe, that use plastic based CU/DB's far, far more than you do in the UK!! Perhaps all those European countries are wrong and BEAMA/IET are the only ones that are right, ....But i very much doubt it.

You tell ME!! Perfectly acceptable in the rest of Europe, that use plastic based CU/DB's far, far more than you do in the UK!! Perhaps all those European countries are wrong and BEAMA/IET are the only ones that are right, ....But i very much doubt it.

I don't know the answer TBH. I just make sure my installations abide to BS7671. The reg guys do their job and I do mine. I have not got the time to write an alternative version of the regs and submit it through all the channels etc. So I made a decision to just let them do it and I will just buy one instead. It is what I signed up for when I chose this career. There are many laws and rules I do not agree with in my country but I would also expect if I were PM I would bring in some rules that others would despise. I would hazard a guess that those moaning about this reg are probably just doing so for the sake of moaning and are far outweighed by opinions of the opposite.

I don't know the answer TBH. I just make sure my installations abide to BS7671. The reg guys do their job and I do mine. I have not got the time to write an alternative version of the regs and submit it through all the channels etc. So I made a decision to just let them do it and I will just buy one instead. It is what I signed up for when I chose this career. There are many laws and rules I do not agree with in my country but I would also expect if I were PM I would bring in some rules that others would despise. I would hazard a guess that those moaning about this reg are probably just doing so for the sake of moaning and are far outweighed by opinions of the opposite.

I'd hazard a guess that you couldn't be more WRONG!!

It's basically attitudes like yours, why the UK industry is now flooded with chancers calling themselves electricians, rather than getting up off their arse and doing anything about it...

I'd hazard a guess that you couldn't be more WRONG!!

It's basically attitudes like yours, why the UK industry is now flooded with chancers calling themselves electricians, rather than getting up off their arse and doing anything about it...

That seems a little rich coming from someone who doesn't even live here.

Things like that just don't bother me so much that is all. They do the regs. I install. This does not mean I have a bad attitude. It just means I have a different way of looking at things.

I don't need to be a rebel for my life to mean something. I am not only a sparky but I am in business. It is just not good business to go against BS7671 IMO.

The 'Insulated Lobbyist Party' will be standing at the next General Election. Apparently part of their manifesto, is to return to the golden olden days of plastic consumer units. They are a group of noble engineers & apprentice served electricians.

Our reporter has found one major flaw in their intentions....nobody will be making plastic ones any time soon!

Just fit the metal ones and have done with it. Wonder if they come in different colours? :)

The 'Insulated Lobbyist Party' will be standing at the next General Election. Apparently part of their manifesto, is to return to the golden olden days of plastic consumer units. They are a group of noble engineers & apprentice served electricians.

Our reporter has found one major flaw in their intentions....nobody will be making plastic ones any time soon!

Just fit the metal ones and have done with it. Wonder if they come in different colours? :)

Just for your information Midwest, the golden age WAS all metal CU/DB's not plastic. The majority 99% or more, of all electrical panels on virtually all of my current and past projects are or have been metal!!

One of the problems with the introduction of all metal domestic CU/DB's in the UK as i see it, is that the majority of these unskilled chancers that abound in there 1000's, are going to make more of a problem using them, than the easy plastic ones. It certainly isn't going to solve any existing problems....

Reply to Hager Metal Consumer Units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net